How to move the local workspace of a project bound to TFS

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
siskamoens
Propeller Head

How to move the local workspace of a project bound to TFS

Post by siskamoens »

Flare 4.2.

I've been working with Flare projects that are bound to Team Foundation Server for some time now, and everything works fine. But now I would like to move the local copy (or workspace or mapped project or whatever you call it :-) ) to another directory on my laptop. I tried different scenarios but everytime something goes wrong somewhere.

Here are the things I tried:
1. In Visual Studio I removed the local workspaces that mapped the project to the local directory
2. In Flare I unbound the project from source control
3. I closed both applications and moved the local files to the new directory
4. I opened the project file from the new location (opened in Flare) --> error message about having no local mappings - unable to open the project properties dialog. Closed Flare again.
5. Opened Visual Studio again and created a workspace manually, mapping the project to the new local directory
6. Reopened Flare and opened Project Properties. That worked now.
7. Project binding information was still there but the project didn't seem to be bound to it (Unbind Project button greyed out)
8. I clicked the "Bind" button and entered the right database. But when I try to select the project's folder in TFS (to link the Database Folder) I get the error message that this folder already exists on TFS and that I should select another parent directory.

Any ideas? Did you already successfully move a project that was bound to TFS? If so, could you tell me how you made it work?

Thanks,
Siska
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to move the local workspace of a project bound to TFS

Post by forfear »

Siskamoens,
am doing this from memory. i don't have tfs on the home computer. Try this steps first...if this doesn't work...there might be another series of approaches i may need to write.
43 Capture.png
In Source Control Explorer, via Visual Team Explorer, in the Workspaces box, click Workspaces...
its a button in Source Control Explorer...you do have Team Explorer/Visual Team Explorer on your pc right?
Select your computer and click Edit.
In Edit Workspace, look for any old server-to-local workspace bindings.
Select any old workspace bindings that are not required and click Remove or edit if necessary( Tfs will set them up again if necessary)
45 Capture.png

try this first, if this doesn't work, we'll start look at some places where TFS might be caching your settings...i can't remember where i fixed this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
siskamoens
Propeller Head

Post by siskamoens »

That's the thing I tried in step 1...and it didn't help. I even went as far as removing all my local workspaces via Team Explorer, but no luck.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

here it is...that earlier temporary workaround probably wasn't it.
msdn wrote:I have been working with a team that has recently migrated a TFS source project from a trail TFS to a full production server (different server). They disconnected their solution from source control (removes all the SCC stuff from .sln) files and then tried to add to the new TFS.

However, they were getting weird errors.

I suggested that they might not have their workspace mapped correctly to the new TFS project.

When they tried to map the workspace, they got the following error:

The Path <local path> is already mapped in workspace <machine name [old tfs server]>

Hmm, I thought we removed all the source stuff?

Turns out that the workspace mappings are stored in a file called:

VersionControl.config under the users local settings/application data directory.

I could find no way (other than manually editing the forementioned file) to remove the workspace mapping from that local folder to the other TFS server (which is no longer in usage).
Anyway, once that was done, all was good in the world.
If you haven' already found it a details description of the problem (with TFS) is located here.
http://blogs.msdn.com/buckh/comments/750598.aspx
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
siskamoens
Propeller Head

Post by siskamoens »

This VersionControl.config file was the culprit!
After I removed all obsolete mappings from it, moving the local files worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot!

Siska