TFS, Flare and TFS server performance

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
hoppo
Propeller Head

TFS, Flare and TFS server performance

Post by hoppo »

We use Flare 5 and TFS and I have not experienced any problems until our Configuration Manager told me this this morning that my one open Flare project was affecting the TFS server performance by querying the server what seemed like every 15 seconds. We put this down to the fact that Flare perhaps calls the server every 15 seconds to see if anyone had made any updates. PLEASE tell me someone that this is configurable somewhere, and let me know how to fix it.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: TFS, Flare and TFS server performance

Post by RamonS »

This complaint isn't new and as far as I know, it is not configurable. I recommend to contact MadCap support, maybe they have some tricks to help you out.
hoppo
Propeller Head

Post by hoppo »

Gee, I hope they do, otherwise I'm going to have some very angry developers after me. :-)
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Just tell them it works fine on your machine. :twisted:

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
awargo
Propeller Head

Post by awargo »

I am having the same issue in Flare 4.2, here is the e-mail I got with a little bit of information:
Flare hits Team Foundation Server with hundreds of queries per minute, even though no one is using the Flare software—i.e., the software is open on the user’s desktop but the user is not checking files in or out or even editing any files.
This swamps TFS, resulting in extreme slowness and sometimes TFS timeouts (errors) for the rest of the team.
Exiting the Flare software stops the problem but in time it can happen again.

PS: I already used the "it works on my box" quote and got a lot of not so happy looks from developers. :wink:
hoppo
Propeller Head

Post by hoppo »

I got the reply from MadCap Support that I could switch off the calls by selecting "Disable something-or-other" (don't have Flare open right now so can't remember exactly what it said) under Tools - Options - Source Control. And it works. I can see that I can't check out the files, but there isn't a constant update to see whose done what to what. We have a happier Configuration Manager now. :-)
awargo
Propeller Head

Post by awargo »

Thanks, I think I figured out what you were talking about and am going to give it a try.
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

awargo wrote:Thanks, I think I figured out what you were talking about and am going to give it a try.
xcapt_1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder