TFS: problems after working offline

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
lzampich
Jr. Propeller Head

TFS: problems after working offline

Post by lzampich »

I'm working on a laptop. In the office with direct access to TFS, source control works beautifully.
When working from home I have no access to the source control server. Flare correctly reminds me about that and I can work on my project offline.
Then back in the office (having direct access to TFS), Flare will note only new topics in the pending check-in list. Topics that existed before going offline and that were simply changed will NOT appear in the pending changes list. That's unhandy and error prone.

The source control in use is Visual Studio 2008 Team Explorer.
Any help will be much appreciated!
(The issue has been sent to MadCap support, too. They have not yet found a solution.)

Thanks,
Lydia.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: TFS: problems after working offline

Post by SteveS »

Hi Lydia,

TFS has some powertools that may help.

I can't remember exact names, it was a couple of years ago I used them, but there is a TFS command line tool that allows you to work remote to the TFS server. When you re-establish the server connection (return to the office) the tool examines files that have changed (I'm guessing it looks for files that have the 'read only' bit changed) and allows you to book them in.

A quick internet search makes me think you need the 'online' command that creates pending edits for writable files that don't have pending edits...

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
lzampich
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lzampich »

Hi Steve,
thanks a lot for your reply and sorry for being sooo late in responding.
I found the tfpt online command and yes, this will find a lot of changes. For now a bit too much. When comparing folders in TFS I can set a filter and exclude irrelevant folders. I haven't found that kind of option (yet) for the online tool.
lzampich
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lzampich »

I replied too fast - that filter option exists: tfpt online accepts the parameter /exlude:filespec[...] which should do the trick. And there is even an environment variable that can be used TFPT_ONLINE_EXCLUDE.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I'm glad you found the tools useful.

Cheers
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.