HelpViewerEmbeddedClient dependencies

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
mweiss_ava
Jr. Propeller Head

HelpViewerEmbeddedClient dependencies

Post by mweiss_ava »

I have a sample application which has a reference to MadCap.HelpViewerEmbeddedClient.dll which only works when the HelpViewer is installed. I was under the impression I could create an .Net application using the Embedded client and not have to install the Dot Net Viewer (HelpViewer) itself.

Can anyone please advise what dependencies MadCap.HelpViewerEmbeddedClient.dll has with the actual HelpViewer? And, if it is possible to use the Embedded client w/o having to install the Dot Net Viewer?

Thanks!
adlangx
Propeller Head

Re: HelpViewerEmbeddedClient dependencies

Post by adlangx »

No, it isn't possible, sadly. You need to install the viewer on the users machines. Madcap supplies a merge module that you can use to do this. It is in the same SDK that you got the .dll from. If you don;t have it you can find it in madcap support. Here is the relevant section from the Help:

The Help Viewer must be installed on the user's machine that is using your application. The SDK contains a merge module that you can incorporate into an MSI-based installer to distribute the Help Viewer.

The following are instructions on how to include the merge module using Visual Studio 2005:

1. In the Solution Explorer, right-click the MSI installer project.
2. Click Add.
3. Click Merge Module.
4. Browse to the InstallMadCapHelpViewer.msm file and select it.
5. Click Open.