Flare Help Viewer for Online output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Flare Help Viewer for Online output

Post by Mohinda »

Hi,
Has any one used Madcap Flare's help viewer for their online help output? We are hoping to use Dotnet help for online output and thinking to use Flare help viewer. I need some advice for customizing the viewer to reflect our brand by changing Logo, background colour, icons i.e., Print, TOC, Home etc. It tried changing them from the Skin editor it does not seem to change the icons. I could not see how I can change the background colour for the help viewer. Could someone please guide me on this.
Thanks in advance.
Mohinda
alex
Propeller Head

Re: Flare Help Viewer for Online output

Post by alex »

As someone who has been working with a .net help project for about 1 1/2 years, I would recommend you seriously go through the posts in this forum to help you determine whether you really want to go this route...

Just a friendly word of advice ;)
Mohinda
Propeller Head

Post by Mohinda »

Thanks for your advice. I have gone through the the posts on the forum about .Net help. I still can't decide between .Net help viewer and Flare Viewer. Are you using .Net help viewer for your project?
Mohinda
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Mohinda wrote: I still can't decide between .Net help viewer and Flare Viewer.
What do you mean by the Flare Viewer? The DotNet Help output requires the DotNet Help Viewer (made by MadCap), if you're developing it as standalone help. You'd need to distribute that viewer to the user to be installed on their system so they can view the standalone DotNet Help.

The DotNet Help does give you the option to be incorporated directly into your .NET application like Flare's own help is, so it wouldn't use the DotNet Help Viewer. I've never done it personally, but I know there's an SDK for doing it.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
alex
Propeller Head

Post by alex »

Yes, what Lisa wrote is what I would ask, as well :)

We have a .net application using MadCap Flare-generated .net help. We have it set up to display a Dynamic Help pane within the application to provide context-sensitive help for each tab & pane in the app, as well as a standalone Help Viewer that you can call up by clicking the familiar question mark icon.

I believe no matter which form of incorporating .net help you choose, you would need to install the MadCap proprietary .net help viewer, but someone please check my math here.

Also, whenever you upgrade to a new version of Flare and generate the help with that new version, you must also make sure the corresponding new version of the Flare .net help viewer gets installed on the end users' machines on which the app in question is installed. Otherwise, a compatibility issue will cause problems and errors to occur.

Hope that helps,
alex