Dot Net Viewer installer doesn't write its registry keys

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
Cheetah
Jr. Propeller Head

Dot Net Viewer installer doesn't write its registry keys

Post by Cheetah »

I've found that the "SetupMadCapHelpViewer0610.msi" does not appear to write registry keys that the Madcap.HelpViewer(Embedded)Client DLLs are expecting to find.

The client DLLs for v6.1 are hard coded to look for a file path for v6.0, or to look for the install path in a registry key. But the installer isn't writing that registry key on any system I've tried (Win7 x86 and x64).

I finally tried just running the stand alone help viewer once, and that wrote the registry keys.

Those keys should REALLY be written by the installer, and the client DLLs should be updated with the correct path.

It's very confusing and a bad experience to require the end user to run what seems to them like a random app that shows them nothing, asks them irrelevant questions, and wants them to install yet more seemingly unrelated software in order to be able to view the help in our app.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Dot Net Viewer installer doesn't write its registry keys

Post by RamonS »

Did you make sure that this isn't a permissions issue? Not saying it is, but a lot falls apart when it comes to writing to the registry without proper rights.