Master page not "taking"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
tbean
Propeller Head

Master page not "taking"

Post by tbean »

I'm using Flare 3.1
I used to have two master pages. One was the default and one was "noCrumbs". noCrumbs, which has no breadcrumbs proxy, was assigned in Topic Properties/Topic Style Class to a group of topics. In the output, the noCrumbs topics appeared without breadcrumbs and the rest of the topics, which used the default master page, did.

Now I have four master pages. I renamed my original "Default" to "A" and "noCrumbs" became "A_noCrumbs". The two new mstr pages are "B" and "B_noCrumbs".

When I tried to build my project for my A target, I received errors -- couldn't find the master pages. I went back to the set of topics that previously had "noCrumbs" and sure enough, Topic Properties/Topic Style Class still read "noCrumbs". When I open the list, all I see are my *old* master pages. I've cleaned the project, quit Flare, restarted, same thing. I manually keyed in "A_noCrumbs" into the Topic Style Class field. I've checked the files in the Internal Style editor and see this:

<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" class="A_noCrumbs">

When I build the project, all pages are using the default master page.
Tracey
tbean
Propeller Head

How to use multiple master pages in an online project

Post by tbean »

Found the answer --

In the forums:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ass#p26217

And in the KB:
http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/default_Le ... adCap-Skin

I'd used the information in those topics to set up my two master pages weeks ago. There is a definite problem in relying on memory and not taking the time to record what you've done. :oops:

-- I knew that I'd associated the noCrumbs master page with topics. I couldn't remember if it was done in the TOC or in Topic Properties.

The Properties dialog for a TOC entry has a list named "Style Class".
The Topic Properties dialog has a list named "Topic Style Class".

To me, they looked like the same thing, but they're not.

The Topic Style Class list is populated by whatever classes you have defined for "html" in your CSS. The html.class includes the mc-master-page property, which is simply a path to your master page file. I had given the class the same name as the master page, and ended up thinking that the Topic Style Class was populated with *the names of my master pages*. When I renamed my master pages, and added more, I expected the changes to show up in the Topic Style Class list, but they didn't. (Yes, it does make a certain sense, as the list is not named "Master Pages", but "Topic Style Class". sigh. Not to mention seeing ' ... class="[classname]" ... ' in the XML. That should have been a dead giveaway. And I guess it's more flexible to select an html.class than a master page, but I do wish you could just select a master page in Topic Properties.)

I'm not really sure what the TOC entry Properties "Style Class" list is for, and that is OK. I don't need it. I suspect it has something to do with how the entry appears in a built TOC.

So the upshot of this ramble is that if you want to have different master pages for different topics, you need to define a CSS class for each master page, and in that class give the mc-master-page property the path to your master page. Then you can see the master page/html.class in that list and apply it to your topic.
Last edited by tbean on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Master page not "taking"

Post by KevinDAmery »

Darn computers... they're so literal :D

Glad you got it worked out.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
tbean
Propeller Head

Re: Master page not "taking"

Post by tbean »

Kevin,
Ain't it the truth?

I've driven developers crazy asking them how lists are populated (I want specific, not general information) but knowing where the values come from can certainly help, especially when the data may "look" like other data. A bit off topic, but a few years ago I didn't understand some numbers on my end-of-year mortgage statement. Turns out that the mortgage company's new software didn't explain ... you guessed it... the values in a list, and they'd chosen the wrong one. Luckily, they'd applied only three weeks of extra principal payments to interest, and not a whole year. (yes, that's right. instead of paying down our principal, they had the extra $$ paying down *interest*.)
Tracey