DotNet Help Viewer Files to Distribute

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
Karlene Robinson
Jr. Propeller Head

DotNet Help Viewer Files to Distribute

Post by Karlene Robinson »

Our developers need to know what DotNet Help Viewer files must be distributed with our application.

They have noticed that the downloaded verison of the DotNet Help Viewer we are working with, includes a Resources > Sounds > MoviePlayer folder. That folder contains a larger number of mp3 files - including MiscAirportAmbiance.mp3!?

They were hoping that these files were not all "critical path" and could be removed.

Has someone been through this process and can give me a definitive list of only those files that need to be deployed?

BTW: I've been scouring the website to try and download the latest version of the DotNet Help Viewer (as I figured that may be a bit more streamline than the version we have) but can't find out how to do that quickly and easily - without going through the new Download Trial Version page. Any hints on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Karlene
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: DotNet Help Viewer Files to Distribute

Post by LTinker68 »

Karlene Robinson wrote:BTW: I've been scouring the website to try and download the latest version of the DotNet Help Viewer (as I figured that may be a bit more streamline than the version we have) but can't find out how to do that quickly and easily - without going through the new Download Trial Version page. Any hints on that would also be greatly appreciated.
On the Downloads page of the MadCap website is a smallish link just under the main nav that says "Distributables". You can download it from there (along with the older versions). The direct URL is http://www.madcapsoftware.com/downloads ... ables.aspx

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Karlene Robinson
Jr. Propeller Head

Thanks LTinker68! I've downloaded the latest version of the Help Viewer. It contains the same set of sound files under the MoviePlayer file. If someone has information about whether these (and any other files) can be safely removed in the distributed version, I'd be very grateful. We need to be able to reduce the size of this if we can.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Post by Richard Ferrell »

You should be able to remove those files, if you don't have any mimic movies in your Output.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
Karlene Robinson
Jr. Propeller Head

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for that.

I spoke to one of the Technical Support people and he, too, confirmed that I could safely remove that entire folder without any problems.

He also suggested that I could make further space savings by deleting any of the following additional folders:
* Any Language folders that we are not using (ie: Japanese, French and German)
* Installs
* Sliverlight (unless we are including movie files)
* BIN.

The Viewer launches and functions correctly without any of these files. However, he did state that MadCap cannot fully support the cut down version and that it may not be as robust as when you have ALL files.

Thanks again Richard!
Karlene