Conditions issue

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
machivv
Jr. Propeller Head

Conditions issue

Post by machivv »

Good day all,

I have the following question:

I am creating a Manual, which includes Client and Supplier management.
I created 1 general "Client + Supplier" topic, using tags to indicated specifics for Clients, and specific for suppliers, since the main User interface is very similar, and I did not want to make different topics for each.

Next, I created my target (1 target!), in which I need to include a "Client" chapter and a "Supplier" chapter.
So, I created my TOC, with the "Client + Supplier" topic included twice : once with my "Client" tag and once with my "Supplier" tag.

I found myself quite smart, until I realized the above won't work, because in my output I have no differentiation between the Client chapter and the Supplier chapter.

Did I make a mistake, or is what I want to do just not possible?

I do hope this makes any sense...

Thank you!
Machi
Cwestpha
Propeller Head

Re: Conditions issue

Post by Cwestpha »

Flare doesn't like repeat topics in the same TOC. I think v12 might have some changes but I forget and do not have time to check the release notes.

This should work in any version, though:

Copy all of the content from that repeated topic into a snippet.
Delete the content from the original topic.
Create a new empty topic for the client chapter.
Replace the reference in the TOC to the original topic with the new topic in the client chapter.
Insert the snippet into each empty topic.
On each topic, right click in content manager and set the Snippet Conditions to the appropriate audience for that chapter. Read up on snippet conditions in the help if you need to, they don't quite work the same as target-wide conditions. The are specific only to snippets within the topic on which you set them.

Optionally you can do this with several snippets specific to the sections that have alternate content for each audience.
You may find it works better for your chapter numbering if you leave the H1 out of the snippet and keep them in the topics.
machivv
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by machivv »

Thanks a million! I'll try that!
machivv
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by machivv »

Update...

Works like a charm!!! Thank you so much!