Creating scrolling web pages with multiple topics

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.

Creating scrolling web pages with multiple topics

Postby CoolLime on Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 am

I am planning to construct a documentation web site based on the same content contained in topics that I use to put out PDF documents. However, one of the requirements of the web site is that often these multiple topics, which would be individual sections or sub-sections in a PDF, are displayed on the same web page such that users scroll down through them. Is this possible to construct the HTML5 output in Flare to do this? Or would it require creating brand new long topics that contain the information that were in the individual topics (this latter scenario is what I really want to avoid)?
CoolLime
Propeller Head

Re: Creating scrolling web pages with multiple topics

Postby TechOnTheBrain on Sun May 13, 2018 4:05 am

With DITA you can 'chunk' topics together as a single page in the output. It sounds like you want to do a a similar thing with Flare. As far as I know, the only way to do this is to put every topic you want to 'chunk' into snippets, and then include those snippets inside topics as required.
Not as elegant as 'chunking' but it basically works. There are some disadvantages I can't remember right now but I think the main one is to do with relationship tables, so won't affect you if you're not using these.
Eric Weston
TechOnTheBrain
Propeller Head

Postby kmorrison on Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 pm

TechOnTheBrain wrote:With DITA you can 'chunk' topics together as a single page in the output. It sounds like you want to do a a similar thing with Flare. As far as I know, the only way to do this is to put every topic you want to 'chunk' into snippets, and then include those snippets inside topics as required.
Not as elegant as 'chunking' but it basically works. There are some disadvantages I can't remember right now but I think the main one is to do with relationship tables, so won't affect you if you're not using these.

We're using this solution. It's working well, and we haven't had any trouble with it.
kmorrison
Propeller Head

Postby CoolLime on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51 am

So let me see if I understand correctly... if you want one long scrolling web page in Flare with multiple topics on that page, the only way is to turn to those topics into snippets and insert them into one topic?
CoolLime
Propeller Head

Postby jjw on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:56 pm

CoolLime wrote:So let me see if I understand correctly... if you want one long scrolling web page in Flare with multiple topics on that page, the only way is to turn to those topics into snippets and insert them into one topic?

I feel your pain! It might be worth making a feature request. Authorit has (or had when I was using it) an option where you can mark topics to be merged in html output and it was quite useful. The topics just merged into the nearest preceding unmerging topic. TBH it was a little less intuitive than not merging because you couldn't just glance at a TOC and see how it would render unless you marked the merging topics somehow.

Actually, in your scenario ... you don't HAVE to turn everything into snippets. You can use topics as snippets - you just have to create them manually, the easiest way is to insert a placeholder snippet and change the link. Not saying I'd recommend it because it's not formally supported by MadCap so it could break at any time, but it's possible. It would let you avoid having a whole separate structure of topics and snippets to manage.

J
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby CoolLime on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 am

I am just thinking that nowadays web pages tend to scroll longer, especially those geared toward developer documentation, because people like developers are adept at using the search function built into their browsers. Topic-based authoring is what Flare is all about, but topics are short chunks of standalone information. Take an example like:

https://stripe.com/docs/

How can this sort of model be implemented with Flare?
CoolLime
Propeller Head

Postby AnneLatapie on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:41 am

Hello :flare:,

I am having the same concern of adding mutiple chuncks to a long web page by an easy way.

jjw wrote:
You can use topics as snippets - you just have to create them manually, the easiest way is to insert a placeholder snippet and change the link.

Could someone please explain to me, a newbie, the process of "changing the link" in a snippet as suggested?

Thank you for any :idea:.

:)
AnneLatapie
Jr. Propeller Head

Return to Single-Sourcing