Showing content only in micro content?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
ruusuvuori
Jr. Propeller Head

Showing content only in micro content?

Post by ruusuvuori »

Hiya,

I started playing with micro content because it looks like an easy way to improve the search and achieve something akin to FAQs with low effort (one-person show here, so no time for multiple systems).

The basics are fine and dandy, or at least good enough: easy enough to make those nuggets of info pop up at the top of the search. Stripping the extra content better served in the main topic is easy too, just slap in a condition and exclude it in the micro content and Bob's your uncle.

But sometimes the micro content would benefit from something extra, like an image, that would be repetitive or out of place in the main topic. So: has anyone figured out how to achieve this easily?

So far I've either gotten that content to show or disappear in both the micro content and the main topic, or show up only in the topic but not in the micro content. No luck so far getting it to show just in the micro content but not in the topic...

Snippet conditions helped with the topic, but you can't manage snippet conditions in micro content, just micro content conditions. So they lead the content to disappear also in micro content, with no way to override the main topic here.

There is the more arduous way of creating the micro content and adding the link to the main topic manually, with the reusable text being a snippet used in both and micro-content-only bit added separately in the micro content editor. Just wondering before I start down that road if there is an easier way that I have just not stumbled upon.

The good news is that I only have limited number of these instances, so if the arduous manual way is the only way, it can still be done.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Showing content only in micro content?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Just thinking and not tried it, but could you also have a condition called "micro-content-only" and apply it to the bit you don't want in the main topic? Would something like that work?
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Showing content only in micro content?

Post by NorthEast »

Pretty sure you can't use conditions. Topic content displayed as microcontent can be controlled using microcontent conditions, but there's no equivalent way to set those conditions when it's displayed as a regular topic.
Setting conditions at the target level would exclude the condition from everything, and setting conditions at the topic level affect snippets only - not the regular content in the topic.

Flare's help describes using styles to control content that's microcontent only:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... Styles.htm
Never tried that, so I can't vouch that it works!