Word Output Security Notice

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
melfring
Jr. Propeller Head

Word Output Security Notice

Post by melfring »

We have a fairly large project (300 topics) that we output to Word format. Suddenly we are getting a Microsoft Office Has Identified a Potential Security Concern message for each topic that is output. You have to click Yes to get past the message and needless to say, clicking Yes 300 times is not really efficient! Has anyone seen this issue? Microsoft identifies this as an old 2010 issue so it should not be surfacing now. We have recently taken the new Flare 2021 r3 and am wondering if we triggered something when we did.
Any ideas are most welcome.
melfring
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Word Output Security Notice

Post by melfring »

Starting to feel more like a perfect storm of a 365 and Flare update at or about the same time. MS365 is looking like the culprit but since the error is being caused by an embedded image file, if anyone has any thoughts, they'd be very welcome.
bobmoon
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by bobmoon »

I've been getting this as well on v2021 r3. It's especially annoying because it pops in the background and I don't notice that the build is waiting on confirmation.

The issue seems to be that Flare is generating Word docs in a "non-trusted" folder. I added my Flare project structure as a Trusted Location, and Flare now generates a document without the prompt.

File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations > Add new location. I selected Subfolders of this location are also trusted.

Making this folder "trusted" means Word won't scan it for virus activity. There is nominal risk of course, so be aware of that.

If you opened a virus-infected Word doc in this location, Word would not catch it. I guess if someone hacked Flare to generate infected docs, it would be a (very roundabout) way to infect Flare user computers.

Hope that helps,
Bob
melfring
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by melfring »

Thanks, Bob.
We have tried the Trusted Center route but it doesn't fix the problem. Even with Flare identified as a trusted source, the security warning still displays. If we were only creating one Word file, it wouldn't be a problem. But since we are creating 300 individual documents, it is a show stopper.
Folks in the Word forum have indicated that this error is becoming more prominent, particularly for 365 users, but MS has [so far] not indicated any plan to adjust the setting/error.
WebHelpppp
Propeller Head

Post by WebHelpppp »

Thanks, Bob, that solution worked for me.

Word > File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations > Add new location