Imported topics (moved to folders) not linking

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
writer9
Propeller Head

Imported topics (moved to folders) not linking

Post by writer9 »

HI,

I'm relatively new to the Global Linking feature. I have Flare 8.1.2.

This should be a simple one, so I'm assuming I'm probably missing something that's obvious.

Here's the setup:

I have a Global Project folder with a bunch of topics that are common to ProdA, B and C.

I have a child project folder for each ProdA, B and C.

I've imported files to the child project using Project Organizer>Imports><import file>

When I open an imported topic in the child project, I can see the "linked" icon in the topic and when I try to edit the topic, I get the popup that indicates that it's a linked topic. So, everything looks good.

Here's the issue:

I move the topics to different folders within the child project using Windows Explorer and then when I edit the topic, it does not show that it's linked anymore!

I tried using Project>External Resources>Manage Mappings and also Project>Synchronize to one of the topics to link it, but it does not work.

Any input in helping me resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Rekha.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Re: Imported topics (moved to folders) not linking

Post by techwriter31 »

writer9 wrote:I move the topics to different folders within the child project using Windows Explorer and then when I edit the topic, it does not show that it's linked anymore!
This is expected behavior. When you import the content from the global project to the child project, it resides in the same location as it did in the global project. If you move files/folders in the child project, the link will be broken. Then, when you reimport content from the global project to the child project, I believe the files that are "missing" will be reimported to their original location within the child project, because the global project isn't aware of changes you've made in the child project.
writer9 wrote:I move the topics to different folders within the child project using Windows Explorer and then when I edit the topic, it does not show that it's linked anymore!
Generally speaking, you'll always want to move files and folders within the Flare UI to ensure any links are automatically updated. (This wouldn't apply in the case of GPL though, since you won't be moving files/folders in the child projects).
Kellie
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Thanks for that quick response, Kellie!

So, I created books in the TOC (to represent chapters) and added topics and that seems to work when I build the book. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

Also, when I build the book, I get "links point outside project file..." message for all the graphics. (I've imported all the images (imported the whole "Global_Resources" folder)). Is this typical? If not, how can I get rid of it? I have applied conditions to all topics (and imported based on that), but have not applied them to images. Does it depend on that?

Thanks,
Rekha.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

writer9 wrote:So, I created books in the TOC (to represent chapters) and added topics and that seems to work when I build the book. Is that how it's supposed to be done?
Yes, this should work. When you say you added topics, are these topics in the original location that they were imported to, or the files that you moved?
writer9 wrote:Also, when I build the book, I get "links point outside project file..." message for all the graphics. (I've imported all the images (imported the whole "Global_Resources" folder)). Is this typical? If not, how can I get rid of it? I have applied conditions to all topics (and imported based on that), but have not applied them to images. Does it depend on that?
The error means that the topics have graphics that are not stored in the project. Yes, I import all of the graphics from my global project to the child projects. I don't think this error would be caused by conditional tags. It sounds like you tagged the topics in the global project and then in the import file, specified that you import the files based on an Import Condition. Is this correct?

A few thoughts/questions:
1) Build the output again, and determine which topics/graphics are throwing the errors. Is it only imported content? Are the graphics that are missing stored in the appropriate folder in the child project?
2) Go back to the global project and verify that the links to the graphics are correct in the topics there.
3) If they are correct in the global project, and if the problems you're experiencing only have to do with imported content, one option would be to delete all the imported content in your child project and then reimport all of the content from scratch and rebuild the output. BUT, this recommendation assumes that you are only testing GPL right now in a "sandbox" type project, have backups of your projects and haven't added the files in the child project to source control.
Kellie
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Kellie,

You really are a GPL-whiz! Thanks for all your input!
When you say you added topics, are these topics in the original location that they were imported to, or the files that you moved?
I imported them from the Global project.

Yes, this is a sandbox--I did reimport all files and it imports all images to the Global images folder (see attached image for folder structure) and it still gives the error (see attached image on that error). Interestingly, it only the Graphics and CSS files and not topic files--so must be something to do with the Global Resources folder.

I'll keep troubleshooting and will keep you posted---and thanks much again!

Rekha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Sorry, I did not clarify this in my previous reply:
When you say you added topics, are these topics in the original location that they were imported to, or the files that you moved?
These are in the original location I had imported to
It sounds like you tagged the topics in the global project and then in the import file, specified that you import the files based on an Import Condition. Is this correct?
Yes, I tagged the topics (only topics; not images) in the global project and then imported the files based on import condition.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Just to verify:
1) Have you tried to build an output in the global project, to verify that the links to the graphics/stylesheet are correct there? My guess is that the links are broken in the global project, and thus are broken when imported to the child project.
2) In the child project, are the graphics being imported correctly?
3) In the import file do you have "Auto-include linked files" checked? If you are importing based on condiitional tag and this checkbox isn't checked, it may not import the graphics or stylesheet if the appropriate conditional tag isn't applied to these files.
Kellie
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Thanks, Kellie.

#1: No, I did not try to build an output in the global project. The global project essentially has a bunch of topics that I pull into the child projects. When I open the topics, the images are intact in the ones that have them so I assumed that the links should work. I will try this building an output from the global project now.
#2: I checked "Auto-include linked files" and went through the proper import process. But it was the first import I've ever done. I should probably delete the "Global Resources" folder and try reimporting again.

Lemme try this and see what happens...
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

You were right on, Kellie. The graphics point to the images in an outside folder from which I created the global project.

I'm trying to figure out if there a global setting for the project where I can point all images to the "global images" folder (and not to the outside folder) instead of configuring each image individually to point to the correct folder.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

writer9 wrote:I'm trying to figure out if there a global setting for the project where I can point all images to the "global images" folder (and not to the outside folder) instead of configuring each image individually to point to the correct folder.
There isn't a global setting that I'm aware of. I've submitted similar enhancement requests for resources files (graphics, snippets, etc.), because I store my global resources in my "Global_Resources" folder and my local resources in an "xxxx_Resources" folder in the child project, and have to manually point to the correct folder each time I create a new one.

One option is to do a find/replace for the folder path in your source code.
Kellie
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Thanks, Kellie.

I'm doing just that!...find/replace in the CSS. Seems to be working so far.

Another question while we are on this topic: I'm still trying to figure out the best way for using Conditional text with GPL.

Assumption: Only topics common to all projects are in the global folder; only topics specific to each child project are in the child folder.

Option 1: Tag all topics (at topic level) in the Global Project (GP) folder and also tag all topics (at topic level) in the child project + tag ALL images in global and child projects (all of this for the sake of visual consistency and to keep my sanity, esp. if the project grows bigger.)

Option 2: Tag only the specific text and images in each topic in the global project.

Which one of this is considered a "best practice"and why? Or is there another alternative that I'm missing?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Here's a brief summary of how I handle conditions. Not sure if this is the best method, but it's worked for me so far.
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 344#p87360

Since the content in the global project is common to all my child projects, I apply very few condition tags in the global project. (That said, I include very few actual topics in my global project. I mainly store images, snippets, stylesheets, page layouts, table styles, master pages, etc.) The only conditions I apply in the global project are for the "Print_Only", "Web_Only" and "Mobile_Only" conditions.

Then, in the import file of the child project, I do not import based on condition because I want to import all of the content anyway.
Kellie
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Now, I get it--and thanks for your reply! Then, I'm assuming you don't have much overlapping content between child projects.

I guess the situation I'm dealing with is a bit different. I have a lot of topics that are common to two or more child projects, but contain some text that is specific to each project. So, I'm applying conditions to the text and the images within each topic. If I do this, I cannot import based on auto-exclusion of non-tagged files because I only store topics that are common to all projects and therefore I will be importing ALL files stored in the global project.

Assuming I have three products (A,B,C) and if a topic has only content for A,B and not C or for A,C and not B, then I think the import will be a lot cleaner if I apply conditions at the content+topic level. This will eliminate any unnecessary import. [If a topic has A+B content and not C, then "auto-exclude" would not bring in C]. The same goes with images. If I tag the images in the images folder + in the content, then it will import only content for that particular child project.

Hope this make sense and I'm assuming that's how it works. I will have to try it out and see how it works and which one is more effective.
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

I was able to generate my first successful book in a child project with no import or any other kind of errors.

Thanks for all your help, Kellie! Your prompt response to all of my questions saved a lot of time for me.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

writer9 wrote:Then, I'm assuming you don't have much overlapping content between child projects.
We do have a lot of overlapping content, but it's broken down into snippets. We've done this because a lot of content is very similar between the child projects, yet still slightly different in a lot of the cases. I think either method works though.
writer9 wrote:If I do this, I cannot import based on auto-exclusion of non-tagged files because I only store topics that are common to all projects and therefore I will be importing ALL files stored in the global project.
Yes, I also do not specify any Import Conditions or to Auto-Exclude Non-Tagged files, as I also want to import all files stored in the global project.
importconditions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kellie
writer9
Propeller Head

Post by writer9 »

Thanks, Kellie.

I haven't used snippets yet. But if you use it, I'm assuming you'll tag all snippets in the Global folder and import ALL snippets into all child projects (because you are not importing based on conditions) and then build each child project based on conditions. It would be nice if I can tag the content and topic/snippet in the global project and be able to import ONLY the content for that condition into the child project.

Also, while I was building my first imported book, I was wondering if a "linked" TOC for the child project makes sense or if it is better to create a new TOC because the child project will have a lot of files that are unique to that project. I created a new TOC for that reason.