toggle text appears in PDF output unless conditioned

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
pdambrosio
Propeller Head

toggle text appears in PDF output unless conditioned

Post by pdambrosio »

I spent a few hours inserting toggles and expecting that the text such as Click Me!, or the text I highlighted as the toggle link, would not appear in the PDF version of the online Webhelp.

As a workaround, I conditioned the toggle text.

Does anyone know if this is expected behavior and can therefore confirm that the extra conditioning step is required.

Thanks!!
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: toggle text appears in PDF output unless conditioned

Post by Msquared »

I have to do this for drop-down text. I condition away the drop down header for web output, and for print output, add another heading level. I just get into the habit of doing both these as I set up the drop down header and text.

The way I see it is if the text is too long to want to display in one chunk, but has some sort of obvious sectioning to use to structure it for web output, for example "click here to read more about . . .", then the printed output could do with a heading at that point too, to break up the flow and help the reader.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
ccxzayhi
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ccxzayhi »

However, I found I couldn't single-source my WebHelp skin, because I needed a different caption for the browser window for each project, and you can't do that. The caption is set as part of the skin, not the WebHelp target. :-(
raza
dorcutt
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by dorcutt »

CCX, I think there are two possible solutions to your caption issue.
  1. You can use more than one skin in the same project. Just copy it, make any necessary changes, and then link each target to the appropriate skin. The downside to this is that you are then maintaining multiple skins, and if you make any changes to one, you have to make sure the change makes its way to each skin.
  2. You can (probably) use JavaScript to change the caption manually. Check out Dave Lee's essential thread if you haven't already.
-Dan, Propellerhead-in-training