configure a "gap" before start of a class

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Florent_auvesy
Propeller Head

configure a "gap" before start of a class

Post by Florent_auvesy »

Hi everybody...
I'm still fairly new to Flare. Using Flare 10.
I've configured a span class used only in my print output (PDF) to highlight some text which is expanding text in my web output.
It's looking fine, but i'd like to have a "gap" before the beginning of the span class, as if there was a line break before the class.
But since i don't want that line break in my web-output, i'd like to configure this in the span-class i'm using.
I'm sure there's a way, but i can't seem to find it...
Anyone has a solution for me :feedback: ?
thx in advance
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: configure a "gap" before start of a class

Post by NorthEast »

By default a span is an 'inline' element, compared to say a paragraph which is a 'block' element.

So if you want the span to be displayed on its own line rather than inline, then set the span class (in the print medium) to use display: block;

See: http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_class_display.asp
Florent_auvesy
Propeller Head

Post by Florent_auvesy »

Thank you Dave, but it's not what i want to achieve... I must have badly formulated my request...

What i want is my span class to be vertically detached from the precedent element, as if there was a line break before it, thus having a bigger gap before its line than after, to highlight where it starts and which part of the text belongs to it.

Instead of...

Text
my span
Text

I'd like to have :

Text

Span
Text

But without introducing a [br /] tag that i don't want to have in my website output ;)
Is it clearer what i want to achieve ?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I think this is where mediums come into play.

I think first of all you need to have a specific <p> class for this type of content (for now I'll call it p.span, but you should call it something meaningful to you.)

If you want this in your Print medium only, then set the margin for the p.span class in your Print medium to be greater than the margin for the p.span class in whatever medium you use for your online output.

Alternatively, is this text part of a Madcap dropdown? In that case, format the dropdown body in your Print medium only to have a greater top margin.

Hope that makes sense. If not, please shout.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Florent_auvesy wrote:What i want is my span class to be vertically detached from the precedent element, as if there was a line break before it, thus having a bigger gap before its line than after, to highlight where it starts and which part of the text belongs to it.
Setting the display: block will 'detach' it from the element that it is inside; you need that if you don't want the span to be inline.

So in addition to that, if you want more spacing above the span, you could set a value for its padding-top.