Best Practice for changing styles between media [RESOLVED]

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Best Practice for changing styles between media [RESOLVED]

Post by Fiona »

Some of my topics start with heading level 1 - these are the "Chapter" headings in my pdf output. In my HTML5 output I want these to appear exactly the same as my heading level 2 style. I can achieve this is several ways, but I'm wondering what best practice says I should do.

1. I can apply conditional tags in the content so that heading 1 is applied to the text in print output and heading 2 is applied to the text in online output.
(Disadvantage: To get this to work correctly I have to type the text twice, once for each set of conditions, increasing the risk of inconsistency. I also have to remember to do this each time I create a new heading 1.)

2. I can override the heading 1 style in the online output only so that it matches the heading 2 definition.
(Disadvantage: If the heading 2 style changes I have to remember to update the heading 1 style in the non-print medium)

Of course, it's perfectly possible that I should be doing this some other way entirely...does anyone have any thoughts/answers?
Last edited by Fiona on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Best Practice for changing styles between different medi

Post by atomdocs »

Leave all your topic headings as default (H1), and enable "Use TOC depth for heading levels" on the Advanced tab of your PDF target. Then configure the heading styles in your online medium (usually default) and your print medium according to how you want them to appear. All the topic headings in your HTML 5 output will look the same, but your PDF output will have the correct heading level formatting according to the level you assign to them in the TOC.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7