Index references that shouldn't link anywhere

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Fiona
Sr. Propeller Head

Index references that shouldn't link anywhere

Post by Fiona »

I'm finally at the stage of adding my index entries and I can't work out how to add one of the things I want. Basically I want to have a statement that doesn't link to anything. For example:

Code: Select all

Functions........
       Modifiers........
       Syntax.........
      [i] for specific functions, see individual entries[/i]
I can see how to add "see" links and "see also" links but I can't find how to add entries that don't link anywhere.

Has anyone else encountered this?

P.S. Is it possible to add conditional tags to index links?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Index references that shouldn't link anywhere

Post by Nita Beck »

Well, after a good hour, hour and a half, I'm afraid I've come up short. I was SURE that I had done this before in Flare, but I think I'm thinking back to my RoboHelp days, where doing this exact thing was easy. Sigh....

I tried a number of hacks and CSS tricks in Flare but none of them worked. If a light-bulb goes on over my head over the weekend, I'll try it out. Otherwise, I think the closest you can do is this:

In the Index Links Editor, have the Term be "Functions:for specific functions, see individual entries", have the Type be See (or See also, for that matter), and leave the value blank. In your PDF, you'll end up with this:

Code: Select all

Functions
   for specific functions, see individual entries, See
Assuming you have a tool for editing the generated PDF, you can then either remove or mask over ", See". You might also, there, be able to make the second line italic. I just couldn't get Flare to italicize the whole thing for me.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!