Multiple Alias files in a project

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Multiple Alias files in a project

Post by NigelBennett »

Hi all.
I have a simple Flare project containing 35 topic files, and from this project I want to create two separate sets of documentation; an "Administrator" set containing all the topics and a reduced "End User" set containing 15 topics (these are shared). I have set up conditional formatting and two sets of targets and can create the required Word and CHM files, but I also need two separate on-line help files. I created the first Alias and Header files for the Admin help and these worked fine. But when I created a second Alias file, when I compiled using this Alias file it interferred with the first and overwrote the first header. I have tried making the files read-only but this doesn't help. Does anyone know how I can create two different Alias/header files in the same project?
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple Alias files in a project

Post by Nita Beck »

In the Alias editor, there is a drop-down list in the editor's toolbar with which you can select which alias file you want to work with. It might be that your admin alias file is selected by default, so be sure to select the end user alias file.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

I found the header file selector earlier. This resets itself to "all identifiers" every time it is closed and reopened, which doesn't help as, like Schrodinger's cat, I don't know what state its in until I open it. Also, when I generate the outputs I get a long list of "Topic identifier declared in more than one file" errors in the build log. Perhaps it would be easier if I create a separate project with its own Alias and Header files, and link the topics I need into it.
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

It sounds like you're trying to add the same identifier in more than one header file.

The header file(s) just contain the identifier names (and values). These are displayed in the alias editor, so can be used/shared in all your alias files.
So, your header files are not specific to an alias file (or target), they're shared for all alias files (targets).

The alias file itself just contains the individual topic mappings that you set for each identifier in the alias editor.

Anyway, you may or may not need separate alias files for your targets.
You only need this if the same identifier has to be mapped to different topics in the different targets.
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Post by phriend_o_phlair »

You folks just answered my exact question! Literally days before I was going to ask it! :shock: Amazing... I feel sort of silly about creating a new alias file just to move identifier-linked bookmarks to 5 new topics for an upcoming release, out of... maybe 1800. But I don't think there's another way.
NigelBennett
Propeller Head

Post by NigelBennett »

Glad it helped you! :-) Though I ran out of time; I ended up creating a second project and copying the required files into it. I'll be attending all the "single sourcing" presentations at MadWorld next month, and I'll have a few questions :)
Nigel
Confirmit, Oslo
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

OK, I now have a new related question. I've created a second alias file for a second output for a new release of our software. This is to accommodate some significant changes I am planning to make in a couple of help areas. Does the setup shown in the screenshots below makes sense? The header file is shared. I was surprised that the orange items appeared in the v1 alias after I altered the v2 alias. I assume this is to be expected? I also assume that these lines are intended to provide a warning to me that I should NOT use these items in v1 alias? Am I doing something out of line with Flare best practices? I just want to check before I move forward so that I can hopefully avoid hosing anything up. :roll: :D

Project 1
Alias file 1
Header (shared)
v1.png
Project 2
Alias file 2
Header (shared)
v2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yeah, that looks normal.

In the top left you can see the alias editor is set to show (all identifiers), which means it'll show everything from all your header files.

The orange items are not 'in' your alias file, Flare's just showing you what is available in the selected header files, but hasn't yet been linked in your alias file.
phriend_o_phlair
Propeller Head

Thank you for your assistance, Dave. Extraordinarily helpful as usual!! :)