Translation from multi-manual Flare project

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
stealth94rt
Propeller Head

Translation from multi-manual Flare project

Post by stealth94rt »

I have a Flare project that I'm using to create four different product guides. About 60% of the content is shared, while the remainder is product specific. The output for each guide is PDF (content is controlled through conditionally tagged topics, snippets, variables, etc.).

We now have orders to translate the guide content for one of the four products. The question is -- how do we give just that content to the translator? We don't want to give them the entire (4 manual) Flare project -- if they had to deal with that, it would be quite time consuming and expensive. So, my quick idea was to output the desired product guide to PDF, use Acrobat Pro to export to Word (which would retain the content and layout), then have them do all the translation and re-build of the PDF from Word.

Also, the translation vendor was already selected by another division of our company. I don't know (but I'm trying to find out) if they have Flare and/or Lingo onsite. I do know that they use a translation library.

If someone has other ideas on how to handle this, please let me know.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Translation from multi-manual Flare project

Post by wclass »

One possibility is to export your required target to a new Flare project, and send that to the vendors. This way, you keep any savings you have by using variables, snippets and general single sourcing.
Look on the Project tab for the Export section.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
stealth94rt
Propeller Head

Re: Translation from multi-manual Flare project

Post by stealth94rt »

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with tech support last evening, and they also told me about the Export feature. I just tested it this morning, and it looks like that will work for me.