What is a CatapultTarget?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

What is a CatapultTarget?

Post by Techno »

Sincere apologies if this the wrong forum to ask on, but could not figure out which was best. However as I'm developing Help for Windows and Mac project, which involves multiple output types, and having issues, I'm hoping.........

I'm getting the following errors reported, and simply cannot find anything in Help searching for "Catapult". I'd hoped to find a "Link Types" summary of these, but no joy. Anyone any ideas please?

File: Project/Targets/Activation_Wizard_for_Mac.fltar
Link: Project/TOCs/Print Documentation/Activation_Wizard_Help_TOC.fltoc
Link Type: CatapultTarget

File: Project/Targets/Activation_Wizard_for_Win.fltar
Link: Project/TOCs/Print Documentation/Activation_Wizard_Help_TOC.fltoc
Link Type: CatapultTarget
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: What is a CatapultTarget?

Post by wclass »

Catapult is an internal name for Flare - if you look at the code for your target or TOC project files you will see this as the main element in the xml file.
However, I'm not sure about the errors - looks like you may be linking to the wrong files in your TOC. So not much help but this might get you started.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

Many thanks. You gave me a valuable clue.

I'm afraid this is very typical of MadCap's in-built reports. What it means is: "Hey dummy! We can't find the TOC file you have selected in the Target!"

Sadly this is something that has driven me nuts of late. Brilliant concept though these reports may be, many are seriously lacking in vital information. For example, the "Markup" Report will give you a file name and tell you:
Rule: Remove tags with spaces
Tag: p

If it knows this, why can it not add the [expletive deleted] Line Number in the Source Code?

The particular file in question is almost 4,000 lines with a complex table.
George Bell
sanjsrik
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by sanjsrik »

@George,

Do you KNOW how much I echo everything you say about the reporting. It is ATROCIOUS. I just end up using a third-party reporting tool that does a link check on my output to tell me what's wrong. I have spent hours and hours trying to track down those non-helpful errors.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

The irony of it all is that the principal behind the reports is first class.

My most recent effort, which was a shade easier than most, was to run a report which suggested over 14,000 items become Styles instead of local formatting. I'm a great believer in the use of Styles, especially when using Word for Windows.

Just to give 2 examples which were cured with a search and replace, and cut this report in half were:

<td style="text-align: center;"> became <td>
<p style="margin-right: 0px;"> became <p>

The <td> Style is already centered, so no need to define locally, and much the same with the <p> Style above.

It may not seem much, but in two particular topics, it has considerably improved speed of access in the .chm.
George Bell