Topic based on template copies resources & snippets folders?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
lauris
Jr. Propeller Head

Topic based on template copies resources & snippets folders?

Post by lauris »

Hi,

I've been going through every possible option I can imagine, searched forums, can't find answer - so I'm asking you, pros :) Sorry if this is a newb situation.

Situation is the following.
- Topics in Content Explorer arranged in folders
- Template created for new Topics (located on the base Content level)
- Resources are in a separate resource folder
- Snippets are in a separate Snippet folder.

Right click on one of my content folders (Quote for example, as also in the image), New - Topic, New from Template, choose my template, create the Topic.

What happens is that Resources and Snippets (the ones that are included in the template) are copied from the core folder to the content folder (Quote) - new folders Resources and Snippets are created. Those are not the same files as in the top level Resources/Snippets folders but they are copied. So they are not linked in any way, they are just two separate instances of the same files.

If I create the new Topic at the base level and then move it with mouse to my Quote folder, in that case these folders are not generated and files are not copied.

Questions:
* Is it supposed to work this way? What about the single sourcing mantra then? :)
* Am I doing/understanding something wrong? Is there a setting or something to make the Resources/Snippets folders "global" (I don't know the right term for that)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!

This is how it looks (circled with blue the original folders and with red the copied folders):
folders snippets resources.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Topic based on template copies resources & snippets fold

Post by paintedturtle »

lauris wrote:Hi,

I've been going through every possible option I can imagine, searched forums, can't find answer - so I'm asking you, pros :) Sorry if this is a newb situation.

Situation is the following.
- Topics in Content Explorer arranged in folders
- Template created for new Topics (located on the base Content level)
- Resources are in a separate resource folder
- Snippets are in a separate Snippet folder.

Right click on one of my content folders (Quote for example, as also in the image), New - Topic, New from Template, choose my template, create the Topic.

What happens is that Resources and Snippets (the ones that are included in the template) are copied from the core folder to the content folder (Quote) - new folders Resources and Snippets are created. Those are not the same files as in the top level Resources/Snippets folders but they are copied. So they are not linked in any way, they are just two separate instances of the same files.

If I create the new Topic at the base level and then move it with mouse to my Quote folder, in that case these folders are not generated and files are not copied.

Questions:
* Is it supposed to work this way? What about the single sourcing mantra then? :)
* Am I doing/understanding something wrong? Is there a setting or something to make the Resources/Snippets folders "global" (I don't know the right term for that)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!

This is how it looks (circled with blue the original folders and with red the copied folders):
folders snippets resources.PNG
It looks like your folder structure got rearranged. Your snippets folder and table styles folder should be on the same level underneath resources which should be underneath content. Your actual topics should be in a separate folder which is at the same level as your resources folder, both underneath the content folder. I'm guessing that is why odd things are copying and pasting because you're trying to tell Flare to do something odd in its content folder that it is not expecting.

My content folder looks like this:

folder hierarchy.png
folder hierarchy.png
Obviously lots of extra folders you don't need, but hopefully this helps you to see how the hierarchy works!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Topic based on template copies resources & snippets fold

Post by NorthEast »

lauris wrote:If I create the new Topic at the base level and then move it with mouse to my Quote folder, in that case these folders are not generated and files are not copied.

Questions:
You'll need to create topics at the root Content folder and move them.

This is just the way Flare seems to work with templates - it'll add copies of any linked files (relative to the topic), and potentially make a right mess in your project.

It's worth putting in a bug report or feature request if you want to see it fixed.