Best Practice for Project with Multiple Print Outputs

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
hoffie4
Propeller Head

Best Practice for Project with Multiple Print Outputs

Post by hoffie4 »

I just got Flare, so I am really new to it. I am currently working on creating an online knowledgebase (support site) with lots of different solutions under various categories. The goal is to create a bunch of Topics/web-pages in Flare, each of which can also be output or saved as a PDF user guide. Because I am new, I want to know what the best practice for this is. Should I be creating one large project with everything in it and then individually create PDFs at the Topic level or should I be creating a project for each category of topics and then somehow link them all together?

Any help is appreciated.

-hoffie4
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Best Practice for Project with Multiple Print Outputs

Post by SteveS »

Hi Hoffie, welcome to the forums. :D

I guess my first question is what would you prefer to do?

There are several approaches you might use:
1. Put all the topics in a single project and create separate TOCs to build the different pdfs. You can use a folder structure inside Flare to manage sub projects (more from an organisational point of view than any compelling reason).
2. Create several discrete projects with common material in a master project.
3. As per 2 and link it with global project linking.

It sounds as if all your topics are going to be available in one output (the knowledge base) and various topics will be combined to form a bunch of pdfs. I'd be leaning towards the first option.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Best Practice for Project with Multiple Print Outputs

Post by paintedturtle »

SteveS wrote:It sounds as if all your topics are going to be available in one output (the knowledge base) and various topics will be combined to form a bunch of pdfs. I'd be leaning towards the first option.
I would recommend Steve's first option as well. It's worked great to have all the topics in one project for a Service Manual I'm working on. I have multiple TOCs (including one for when I want to output just one topic) and lots of different targets--PDF, HTML5 and Word. Works well!
~Sarah
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.