Tagging advice needed

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Tagging advice needed

Post by oceanclub »

I think I've set up my conditions

Version 1: screenshot1 (tagged as "Version 1 Only")
Version 2 screenshot2 (tagged as "Version 2 Onwards")
Version 3: screenshot2 (ie, unchanged since Version 2) (tagged as "Version 2 Onwards")
Version 4: screenshot2 (ie, unchanged since Version 2) (tagged as "Version 2 Onwards")

In Version 5, the screenshot needs to be updated.

I can create a "Version 4 onward" tag for the new screenshot. But then I need to create a tag, something like "Version 2 to 4" for the screenshots in Versions 2 to 4. Or, create tags "Version 2", "Version 3", "Version 4" and have three instances of the screenshot for each of those versions. (If I tag a single screenshot with all three versions, it doesn't work as all three versions need to be fulfilled - that is, the conditions are ANDed together).

If I go down this road it means I could end up with a condition tag for every subset of versions, which would be huge.

What is the standard way to do this?

P.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Tagging advice needed

Post by NorthEast »

oceanclub wrote:(If I tag a single screenshot with all three versions, it doesn't work as all three versions need to be fulfilled - that is, the conditions are ANDed together).
Say you tag the same screenshot with conditions for version 2, 3 and 4.
Then in the version 4 target, set its conditions to exclude 2, exclude 3, and include 4.
The screenshot will be included as the include for condition 4 overrides the exclude for 2 and 3.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Dave Lee wrote:
oceanclub wrote:(If I tag a single screenshot with all three versions, it doesn't work as all three versions need to be fulfilled - that is, the conditions are ANDed together).
Say you tag the same screenshot with conditions for version 2, 3 and 4.
Then in the version 4 target, set its conditions to exclude 2, exclude 3, and include 4.
The screenshot will be included as the include for condition 4 overrides the exclude for 2 and 3.
Hi Dave,

I think the problem with that is that it would break existing tagging. We don't use include in the targets at all. I believe the reason is that we have both version tags _and_ client specific conditional tags. So if text is tagged, say, "Version4" and "Client1", it should only be included if _both_ of those conditions are satisfied, not just one. If my target has "include 4", then I believe such text would be included even if Client1 wasn't included.

I think the only way around all this will be to use an advanced expression as described in Scenario 4 here; I just wish there was an easy way to build these; with 15 client tags and 10 version tags, I'm baffled at the conditions required.

http://www.uaeurope.com/articles/Condit ... Flare.html
P.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

oceanclub wrote:I believe the reason is that we have both version tags _and_ client specific conditional tags. So if text is tagged, say, "Version4" and "Client1", it should only be included if _both_ of those conditions are satisfied, not just one. If my target has "include 4", then I believe such text would be included even if Client1 wasn't included.

I think the only way around all this will be to use an advanced expression as described in Scenario 4 here; I just wish there was an easy way to build these; with 15 client tags and 10 version tags, I'm baffled at the conditions required.
Yeah - what I suggested would work for just the version tags, but you didn't mention the other set of condition tags.

An advanced expression should work for you though.
If you're baffled, maybe try it out in a simple test project first, just so you get the hang of the syntax used for the expression.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Dave Lee wrote:
oceanclub wrote:I believe the reason is that we have both version tags _and_ client specific conditional tags. So if text is tagged, say, "Version4" and "Client1", it should only be included if _both_ of those conditions are satisfied, not just one. If my target has "include 4", then I believe such text would be included even if Client1 wasn't included.

Yeah - what I suggested would work for just the version tags, but you didn't mention the other set of condition tags.

An advanced expression should work for you though.
If you're baffled, maybe try it out in a simple test project first, just so you get the hang of the syntax used for the expression.

Hmm, just had a idea. In my system, client tags are never mixed - that is, only tag is every used, nothing in combination. While version tags can be combined (ie, something might be in 2, 3, 4, etc).

Would using <div> tags with client conditions work? So, for example (in pseudocode)

<div condition="client1">
<p condition = "version 1, version 2>
</div>

So, for the paragraph to be displayed at all, both client 1 and either version1 or version 2 must be included.

P.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

oceanclub wrote:Hmm, just had a idea. In my system, client tags are never mixed - that is, only tag is every used, nothing in combination. While version tags can be combined (ie, something might be in 2, 3, 4, etc).

Would using <div> tags with client conditions work? So, for example (in pseudocode)

<div condition="client1">
<p condition = "version 1, version 2>
</div>

So, for the paragraph to be displayed at all, both client 1 and either version1 or version 2 must be included.

P.
Yes, if you used that structure, then to show client1 with version1 you'd:
- exclude client2, client3, etc.
- exclude version2, version3, etc.
- include version1

You don't need to include client1 unless you would have other client conditions on the same div tag.