Cross reference to imported topic

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Mari0n
Propeller Head

Cross reference to imported topic

Post by Mari0n »

Has anyone else come across this?

I have 6 projects of which 1 is the master (Shared) that is imported into each of the others.

I created a new topic in the Shared project, added headings and imported it into one of the child projects.
In the child project I then created cross references to this imported topic.

When I do this Flare asks whether I want to break the link to the imported file and save it!!!
Of course I don't!
I am certainly not changing the imported file from within a child project, I am changing an existing topic in the child project by adding a cross ref to the imported topic and somehow Flare sees this as changing the imported topic?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross reference to imported topic

Post by NorthEast »

It wouldn't normally ask if you want to break the link, unless you're doing something that would change the shared topic.

My guess is that you're trying to set up an xref to a heading inside the shared topic, so Flare is trying to insert a bookmark in that topic.
If you need to create a xref to a position inside the topic, you'd need to insert a bookmark in the topic, then reimport it, then create the xref to the bookmark.
Mari0n
Propeller Head

Re: Cross reference to imported topic

Post by Mari0n »

@Dave
Aha!! That is exactly what I'm doing! I am referring to a heading.
Thank you so much - I have made bookmarks now, tried it again and - thank heavens - no more linked document dialogue windows.

I find it puzzling though that I've not come across this before, as I think I constantly refer to headings in the Shared project....but maybe once they have a bookmark it's ok?

So relieved with your answer! No idea why the Flare Help desk hasn't come up with this...