Topics with Meta Tags

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Topics with Meta Tags

Post by GeorgeBell »

Flare 2017 R2

Meta Tags are created when a Topic's Properties is given a Description.

Running a Report when only "Topics with Meta Tags" is checked, should then list Topics with the given Description below.

In many cases this is spot on, but is some cases, multiple Descriptions will appear against a single Topic. instead of the correct Topics.

And yet "sometimes" adding Descriptions to Topics above or below the offending Topic, will resolve the issue.

This is driving us nuts as we are desperately trying to get decent HTML5 output for Mac Help.

Has anyone seen this behaviour - and better still - know of a reason/solution?
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Topics with Meta Tags

Post by GeorgeBell »

Just an update here - seems we may have found a bug.

We simply wanted a hard copy report of what Topics contained Meta Tags for proofing.

The resultant output should be:
File name
Meta Tag
File name
Meta Tag
Etc..

However, in all to many instances, the file names are listed, but the Meta Tag descriptions are listed under a single File name.

Not at all helpful when you have 1,700 plus Topics.

MadCap have referred this to their "developers".
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

Hi GeorgeBell -

I confirm the problem (in 2017 r3) you are reporting, and believe I can offer you a viable workaround. :D :arrow: :?:

Instead of using Flare's reporting, use the "Find and Replace in Files" feature. Input meta name="description" in the Find window. Choose to Find in (whole project), File types Topics, Find Options, select Find in source code check box. Click Find All. Then use the Export results to CSV button with the Find Results window.

Hope that helps.

edit:

My apologies. This too does not provide the content of the meta tag in it's entirety. So its usefulness is restricted to your knowing which files have a properties description entered. The reason the report is going awry is that meta tags can be introduced having nothing to do with the GUI description field.
GeorgeBell
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GeorgeBell »

Hi roboHAL,

Many thanks indeed for responding here. As you said, it is not proving the full information, but I can see other potential uses for the method you described so well.

I have to say that it is decidedly annoying that there is not a report which lists Topics WITHOUT a Meta Tag. These are essential if you wish to develop decent output for Apple Mac.

We are seriously struggling to produce a reasonably clean HTML5 Target which is W3C compliant. MadCap have already admitted there is a bug with unordered lists. That's a total of over 4,200 errors alone.

We are also trying to track down, "The "name" attribute is obsolete. Consider putting an "id" attribute on the nearest container instead." Another 2,100+ errors there.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

You're welcome, GeorgeBell. I gather there is some frustration on your part, and understandably so. As you state you have already reported the bug and/or submitted an enhancement request, at least you can remain hopeful in that regard. Typically, MadCap does fix bugs and implement worthwhile suggestions. Trouble though is the timeliness as it can take many months or even longer. Regardless, you seem/write as though you can work your way through whatever difficulty and challenges lie ahead. Best of luck :)