Creating warning statements

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
IFU
Propeller Head

Creating warning statements

Post by IFU »

I'm new to Flare. Apologies if this topic has already been discussed. I maintain five documents for a single product. Each document contains a list of warning statements at the beginning of the document. I have approximately 120 short warning statements that I can "mix and match". Some warning statements are common to all documents and some are unique to a document. This is one example of a warning statement. "Product disposal — Failure to dispose of
the cable properly can result in harm to the environment. Dispose of the cable in accordance with hospital policy and local regulations."
Should I use topics or snippets to create the warning statements? Thanks.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Creating warning statements

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

In a word...

Snippets!

To elaborate: You should use snippets so that you can place warnings as needed within topics. It is not possible in Flare to embed a topic into another topic, so that method won't get you what you're after. The use case you describe is a perfect use case for snippets.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
IFU
Propeller Head

Post by IFU »

Thanks Nita - Exactly what I needed to know. A follow-up question if I may. My initial idea was to create five separate warning.htm files, one for each document, each .htm file having its own subset of warning snippets. Just to confirm: is having five separate files better than creating a single warning.htm file and using conditions to specify which snippets are shown in which document? These documents will be translated, if that makes any difference. Thanks. Isabelle
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I personally would prefer one warnings .htm per document, with that document's subset of warning snippets. I think that's a much easier solution than having to mess around with conditions. I think it'll be easier to maintain in the long run. Others may not agree...

Regarding translation of your warning snippets, whether you have just one, heavily conditioned warnings.htm or one-warnings.htm-per-document makes no difference. Each snippet will be translated just once. And, if you go with the separate warnings.htm then, the cost to translate the heading "Warning" multiple times will be negligible, I would think.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!