How to prevent local styles from messing up the pdf

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
kfcatvera
Propeller Head

How to prevent local styles from messing up the pdf

Post by kfcatvera »

howdy. there must be a better way to do this.

I want my screen display to look like this:

Note the menu on the right.

I want my pdf display to look like this:

Menu is not there and text adjusts to fill the page where the menu would have been.

As a newbie, I was challenged, and time was of the essence. I ended up creating a very long snippet so that I could add the content for a single guide to a web-formatted topic and a pdf-formatted topic. The web-formatted topic included this:

The downside of this approach: I can't link into headings in the web page. Is there a better way without switching to top nav?
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to prevent local styles from messing up the pdf

Post by trent the thief »

Hi,

Take a look at this hack of tri-pane:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29105#p130330

I used Dave Lee's toolbar script hack to add a stylesheet to handle moving screen elements around and needed to manually change the Default.htm to remove the search bar div and move the search box to the nav div. But I use a madbuild batch job generate help an copy in the modified Default.htm after every build.

I can't speak to adding the mini-toc in 2017r3 since I haven't managed to make that work in any new projects. The last time I know it worked for me was in Flare 11 (but I haven't tried it again since then). The PDF output is fine, but you will need to adjust the print media styles (as always) to have the hardcopy look exactly right.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
kfcatvera
Propeller Head

Post by kfcatvera »

hmmm. the toc is the key part specified by our web designer. i need a mini toc without squished pdf output.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

My toolbar script isn't of any use here - use it is to modify the Tripane skin (header, etc.), not any content in the topic.

If div.right contains the menu, then you can hide this in the PDF by using CSS in a medium; e.g. if your PDF target uses the print medium, you would use:

Code: Select all

@media print 
{ 
   div.right { display: none; } 
}
I'm not sure what the links are in that snippet, but you can probably replace it with a menu proxy (rather than a mini toc). A menu proxy can display links to headings inside the topic, or display the whole or part of your TOC. So if the content in the snippet just contains links to the headings in that topic, insert a menu proxy, choose to display (Headings) and the number of heading levels to display.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Can't see your images at all.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx