Topic-level condition tags not hiding information

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
writer_sam
Propeller Head

Topic-level condition tags not hiding information

Post by writer_sam »

Hello good people of the Flare Forum,

I'm in need of some advice regarding condition tags.

I have a topic that discusses the use of a single software driver that is known by 2 names. Ugh. In the topic, both names are mentioned but they are condition tagged. There are also snippets in the topic that mentions both drivers — I have not applied snippet conditions in this particular topic.

XML:

Code: Select all

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet <MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="Driver1">DRIVER-1</MadCap:conditionalText><MadCap:conditionalText MadCap:conditions="Driver2">DRIVER-2</MadCap:conditionalText> consectetur adipiscing elit.
This topic is located in a single TOC but in two separate TOC folders. When you open the topic from the first TOC folder driver 1 should appear in the main body, from the 2nd folder driver 2.

I thought that adding the condition tags to the TOC entry properties would hide the "other" driver at run time:
TOC-condition_tags.png
Light blue topics should only say "DRIVER-1", dark blue topics should say "DRIVER-2".

I was mistaken ... when I build my target I get:
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet DRIVER-1DRIVER-2 consectetur adipiscing elit."
in both topics.

I think I need to use snippets here but then I will have snippets embedded within other snippets, and I really haven't had much luck with those — I originally had the text as a snippet with other snippets embedded in them (those snippets are used elsewhere), but because they were talking about the same drivers, I didn't snippet-condition them thinking I could do it at the TOC.

Is there a way to achieving what I need without going back to snippets-in-snippets??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Topic-level condition tags not hiding information

Post by AlexFox »

Is there any particular reason you've structured your TOC in this way? Remember it's only the target that excludes or explicitly includes conditionally tagged items, tagging them in the TOC is just applying another level of conditional tagging. The solution is a separate target for each version of your output.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I guess the question is whether you have two separate targets, or whether you want two versions of the topic in the same target.

If you want two versions of the topic in the same target, then you need two separate topics. You'd put all the topic content in a snippet, use conditions to mark the different content in each topic, then insert the snippet in each topic and set the appropriate snippet conditions (on the inserted snippet).
writer_sam
Propeller Head

Post by writer_sam »

Ah, it's the target that does it. OK.

I only have 2 targets - HTML5 and PDF. I'm kinda stuck with it for the time being - legacy product / help that I've inherited. The help reflects the product. Nothing I can do about that. The help is included "in-product" so there's no way I start doing different targets.
writer_sam
Propeller Head

Post by writer_sam »

... and I clicked Submit rather than Preview. NOT having a good day!!

I think I was trying to be too clever. As it's just the one target with 2 versions of the topic, I'll have to snippet-ize as suggested. Wood, trees, and all that jazz :oops:

Thank you!