Cross-referencing target-specific variables

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Niels
Propeller Head

Cross-referencing target-specific variables

Post by Niels »

Can I cross-reference a target-variable from another target X in target Y?
Can I cross-reference a variable from one specific target in a snippet?

Rationale:
We have many documents (PDF/print) each with its individual document version. We set the version in a variable for each target so this can be used in the imprint and footer (at least in the usual way within the target).
There are cross references between the documents (organized in a classical section "Applicable Documents" for each document) and these references should give the up-to-date versions of all other documents that are listed. Ideally we only want to set the current document version for each document once - after all that's why we use Flare for true single sourcing :-)

Currently we maintain the version for each document in two locations: as a variable (per target) and as plain text within a snippet that can be referenced from all targets.
To me it seems like there is no way to bind a snippet variable to a specific target instance of a variable (unless you can show me how to do the special trick).

Custom system variables would be another solution but are seemingly NOT supported either. Otherwise, beside the document version there is further information that would also be useful to share by cross referencing (to a single source for each item), such as file name and release year etc..