Looking for tips when importing Visio flowcharts

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
beej13
Jr. Propeller Head

Looking for tips when importing Visio flowcharts

Post by beej13 »

I create a lot of complex process maps using Visio. Using a Flare HTML5 output, I create links from the steps in the process map to topics with detailed instructions and more links to other relevant topics. Currently, I size my Visio maps so they are readable if I print them out in 8.5 X 11 - that seems to fit well on most monitors with no zooming in and out. I take each page of the Visio map and create an SVG image file. (SVG and EMF seem to give the best clarity on the text.) Then I import each image page into a topic. I use an image map to create links on each step in the map so I can link to the detail instruction topics and to other pages in the process map.

This is time consuming and I still haven't figured out how to make responsive image maps so they work correctly on a tablet.

I know Visio exports to HTML and I can import that into Flare, but it doesn't seem to bring in the flowchart - I just get a list of page titles. And even if it did, I'm not sure if this will be faster to create links or if I'll still need to use an image map.

I'm basically looking for any tips that will make this process faster.