Creating a target that does not use the current project

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
awinnefeld
Propeller Head

Creating a target that does not use the current project

Post by awinnefeld »

Hey community,

I would like to use my English Flare project to create output directly from a Japanese Lingo project. The problem is that there always has to be output from the current project in each target. There seems to be no way to get rid of it, but I might be missing some obvious setting. Wouldn't be the first time ;)
flare-target-language.png
This is not a problem e.g. for chm help. But I do not want multi-language PDFs; I want a separate PDF for each language. Surely there must be a way to do this without having to create a Flare project out of the Lingo project and creating the output from there? Please tell me what I am missing here :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hendrik
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Creating a target that does not use the current project

Post by Hendrik »

I have the same problem and I think it's a shame that Flare does not give you the choice (by providing an according option in the PDF target), if you want separate PDFs for each language or one big stitched PDF file. It is absolutely nonsense to force-add second table of contents only for the different languages, when there is already a table of contents present in the document. So you end up having a well styled TOC plus an additional ugly second TOC for the different languages. Where is the sense in that? Two different TOCs may tend to confuse the reader more than it helps. The choice should be on the Flare author's side if on multilingual PDF targets a single stitched PDF or separate language PDFs are desired.

Did you find a solution to publish separate PDFs for each language?

Somewhere, I red there shall be a temporary output folder where the separate unstitched PDFs can be found. But I couldn't find them anywhere. It makes it even harder since we are using build automation. It would be of great help, if Madcap would simply offer a setting for separate language PDFs in the PDF targets options. But for now it looks like we will end up making just the PDF targets in all language projects single language targets and using our build automation to manually start generating the single PDFs from within each particular language project one after another. This is ridiculous.
IUseItAsACrash
Propeller Head

Re: Creating a target that does not use the current project

Post by IUseItAsACrash »

Hey -

has anybody found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem, I want a separate PDF for the individual languages.