Cannot save new conditions and variables using r3 version

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Mabs
Jr. Propeller Head

Cannot save new conditions and variables using r3 version

Post by Mabs »

Hi Everyone,

I am using the r3 version of Flare and I came across some issues with conditions and variables. Every time I add a condition/variable, an error pops up (the "encountered problem" window).
Anyone have fixes? Badly need your help on this.

Mabs
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cannot save new conditions and variables using r3 versio

Post by doloremipsum »

I'm not having any problems with that on my installation... It sounds like a bug you should report to Madcap.

If you need a workaround before Madcap gets back to you, you could open the file you need to edit in Notepad++ or a similar text editor and code the new variables/conditions into the XML yourself. You should be able to copy the existing items in the file and make any necessary edits.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Mabs
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Mabs »

Thanks! Still haven't heard from MadCap but at least I have a workaround.
robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

The error window pops up most commonly for me when there's an inconsistent file. Either I've fiddled with some page's code in the XML Editor or I've done something wrong outside of Flare (I use Python scripts to autogenerate some topics and files). Sadly the error isn't necessarily clear where the issue is. However, since you get it when opening/editing/saving the variables or conditions, I'd start there and carefully check the variable and condition definition files with a fine toothed comb in a text editor. A misplaced angle bracket or missing quote mark or closing tag are the most obvious things. Beyond that, have a look at other files you might have modified recently.

Not sure why the window should pop up with a new version, unless as part of the upgrades they've tightened up some error checking in the background.