Where are snippets used?

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
andy_smith
Propeller Head

Where are snippets used?

Post by andy_smith »

Hi, this is my first post having started using Flare in April.

I have a document containing a snippet that I need to edit. Unfortunately my colleague is on holiday and I don't know which documents that snippet is used in. The edit I need to make (a new warning) would be specific to one product.

Is there a way I can identify which documents (I guess that means which targets) the snippet is used in?

One solution might be to make the warning conditional but I want to know the landscape of the documents affected before I get into making it any more complicated.

Cheers

Andy
I'm on UK time (UTC+0). I work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so I may not see replies outside of those days.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Where are snippets used?

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums, Andy! ;)

Use the Link Viewer window to see where the snippet is used.

If you already have the snippet open in the XML Editor, then use View > Link Viewer to open the Link Viewer panel. Under Linked From, you'll see the files that call the snippet. You can even open a file from that list. Once you have a topic that uses the snippet open, you can use the Locate in TOC command to find the topic in its TOC and, hence, the document (target) that uses that TOC.

If you don't have the snippet open, locate it in the Content Explorer. Right-click it and select View Links. That'll also open the Link Viewer panel.

I tend to use the first method.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!