Identifying which files are in which TOC

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
andy_smith
Propeller Head

Identifying which files are in which TOC

Post by andy_smith »

Is it possible to identify which files are used in which TOC? I've looked in the analysis tab but I can't see anything there.

We have a large project with multiple manuals in the same project. Some manuals have multiple versions using single sourcing. The files are mostly divided into folders for each manual but there may be some crossover between folders that predates my time with the company. We have at least one instance of three versions of the same file in the folder for a particular manual group. The file currently called up in the TOC is the wrong version which is used in a different manual. Removing that file from the TOC and selecting from the two alternatives I'm faced with the need to make an edit to the file but I'm concerned that the file may be used somewhere else, possibly an approved manual where that change would then need to be recorded in the revision history; alternatively I make yet another copy which I don't want to do.

So is there a way of identifying which files are called up from which TOC? I know I can do that from the TOC but I don't want to search through every TOC to find where the file is used especially if the file is an orphan and not used in any TOC.
I'm on UK time (UTC+0). I work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so I may not see replies outside of those days.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Identifying which files are in which TOC

Post by NorthEast »

Open View > Link Viewer.
Then when you open a topic, it'll show you where the topic is Linked From - including any TOCs.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Identifying which files are in which TOC

Post by Nita Beck »

andy_smith wrote:...where the file is used especially if the file is an orphan and not used in any TOC.
For that, use Analysis > More Reports > Topics Not In Selected TOC and then set the Filter field to Any TOC. Alternatively, add a report that'll find the same info. Right-click the Project > Reports folder and select Add Report File. I suggest you select the Empty Report template. In the Topics section, select the Topics Not In Any TOC checkbox and then generate. Of course, be aware that a topic may still be present in online output (e.g., HTML5) even if it's not on a TOC, depending on how you've set the Content to Include option in the target.

You could also search for unused topics. For that, use Analysis > More Reports > Unused Items. Then select Topics Not Linked from the drop-down list at the top. Alternatively, add a report. You can use the Unused Items Report template, but that'll find unused files of all different types. If you use the Empty template, you can select in the Topics section the Topics Not Linked checkbox, as in, topics that aren't used anywhere, that aren't linked to anything else.

In either case, the advantage of using the dynamic reports (those from Analysis) is that you can export the data to a CSV file.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!