Snippets and Translation

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Shredder
Propeller Head

Snippets and Translation

Post by Shredder »

Hi folks,

I have a translation coming up soon. The project has several warning messages. The warning messages are based on specific risks and legal requirements. As they are (nearly) identical for most products, I implemented them as snippets to reuse them flexibly. However, when exporting for translation, the snippets are turned to text. Thus I will have the translated content in the topics, however not in the snippets (where I want it to be). Does anyone have a good solution for this?

Is it a viable solution to mark the content in the topic, convert it into a snippet, and give it the name of the original snippet?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Snippets and Translation

Post by doloremipsum »

What tools are you using for the translation? If you're using Madcap Lingo, it is definitely possible to translate snippets as separate files - Lingo translates the source files, including snippets. Alternatively, in Lingo you can select specific snippets to convert to text.

However, it sounds like you're sending the output files for translation instead of the source files. If you're not using Lingo, have a look at this blog post which might help you: https://wouter.tech/blog/translating-fl ... out-lingo/.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Shredder
Propeller Head

Re: Snippets and Translation

Post by Shredder »

doloremipsum wrote:What tools are you using for the translation? If you're using Madcap Lingo, it is definitely possible to translate snippets as separate files - Lingo translates the source files, including snippets. Alternatively, in Lingo you can select specific snippets to convert to text.

However, it sounds like you're sending the output files for translation instead of the source files. If you're not using Lingo, have a look at this blog post which might help you: https://wouter.tech/blog/translating-fl ... out-lingo/.
Ah, we actually have Lingo via AMS. I simply read the Flare instructions, not the Lingo instructions and got a heart attack because I implemented scores of warning messages as snippets. I will read the Lingo docs and try to figure it out.