Single Sourcing Feedback

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
acabon
Jr. Propeller Head

Single Sourcing Feedback

Post by acabon »

Hello!

I'm managing a team of technical writers, my organization also includes a training team reporting to the same manager and working on the same products. Does anyone has experienced content reuse with training teams? We started building separate TOCs for them with the content they need, we also use conditions and snippets.
I would like to hear from people/companies that are used to use single sourcing with training teams to know more about how to optimize efforts.
Thank you!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Single Sourcing Feedback

Post by doloremipsum »

Is there something more specific you're wondering about? Any single-sourcing setup is probably going to be highly personalised to the needs of your organisation, depending on what kinds of content you want to share and what outputs you're using.

The main thing that comes to mind for me is that trainers really want to use powerpoint, and Flare is almost totally incompatible with powerpoint!
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
acabon
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by acabon »

Thank you!

You're right about PowerPoint, they are using PowerPoint but also MS Word.

To be more specific, I'm wondering how trainers/technical writers share content, if and how trainers are able to reuse content technical writers create. I know that the ability to reuse content really depends on the content types and output formats but I just would like to read some experiences that worked.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

I haven't experienced trainers using Flare, and the single-sourcing within Flare is really meant for sharing within a Flare project with multiple outputs.

It's also possible to use imports in Flare to share material between different Flare projects, possibly including Word documents, but I've never been satisfied enough with the result of a Word import in Flare to keep it as a linked import (as opposed to just using an import to bring the Word content into Flare and then removing the link file and modifying the text and formatting of the imported topics as needed.