printed instructional documents

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
spree10
Jr. Propeller Head

printed instructional documents

Post by spree10 »

We are currently using Flare for our online help and we also have over 100 Instructional Word documents that cover the same topics that you'll find in our online help. So we are in the beginning stages of researching single sourcing.

Question for you... once the information is in Flare and identified for a printed document; does it somehow identify that that printed document should be republished? For example, let's say I get all the information into online help, I export/print/publish the PDF for printed copy. Then a month later that feature in the program changes so we update the text - does Flare somehow identify that we need to now reprint/republish that document because the data has change?

I apologize if this is a basic question - as I mentioned we are in the beginning stages of researching single sourcing. thank you!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: printed instructional documents

Post by LTinker68 »

spree10 wrote:... does Flare somehow identify that we need to now reprint/republish that document because the data has change?
There are only two instances I can think of when Flare will tell you something has changed. One is if you click the "View Primary" button in the toolbar -- Flare will tell you that the output is out-of-date and will ask if you want to regenerate (build) it. Likewise, if you click the "Publish Primary" button in the toolbar or click the Publish button in the target, you'll get the message that the output is out-of-date.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: printed instructional documents

Post by KevinDAmery »

To put it another way, Flare doesn't monitor the content and proactively inform you when it doesn't match the last output anymore.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare