Single Sourcing for Paper Questions

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Dtechmeier
Jr. Propeller Head

Single Sourcing for Paper Questions

Post by Dtechmeier »

I am working on my first attempt to set up a Print version of Webhelp. Through trial and error I have gotten most of what I want working. However, I still have a few problems and questions:

1. I have a H1 running heading defined in a Chapter page layout. However, while the footer for this layout is working just fine, the header is not. On the "First" page it is picking up the contents from the Book name in the TOC, but not the rule. Then the heading is blank for the topics within that book. Once it hits the next book, it displays the book name in the header area again with no rule. However, in the individual topics within Madcap, it shows both the H1 and the rule at the top of each topic. My targets are Webhelp and PDF.

2. Is the Mini TOC available to use with a PDF target? One place I read it was only available for Word and Framemaker, then in another it talked about using this feature in within a PDF.
If it is available, I was unable to get it to generate anything. The way I envision using it is to have a new book and display H1 for each topic within that book from the mini TOC. I've tried creating a topic with a minitoc proxy and linking the book to it . I've also created a topic and putting it as the first topic after the book. It didn't generate any minitoc topics in either case. But when I linked to it from the book, it tried to place the topic (without generated links) to the page before the book. (For instance, I have a cover, a copyright page, a toc and then chapters. In this case it put the blank minitoc page just before the first Ch1 page with the name of the book in the running header.

3. In my online version, I have a small How? graphic that opens a popup of a related topic within several of my procedures. Anyone got any suggestions on how to use this so it is also useful in the paper version or doesn't show. Right now the graphic shows in the paper, but it doesn't do anything when you click on it.
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Single Sourcing for Paper Questions

Post by GregStenhouse »

1. Not sure about this sorry. If you think everything is set up correctly, maybe raise a support ticket and get Madcap to take a look at your project.
2. MiniTOC is available for PDF. Are you using the heading levels correctly? (i.e. right click the proxy, select Edit>Mini TOC Proxy, set the TOC Depth to 1, and make sure you are using H1 in your topics). Also, make sure your MiniTOC proxy is in a topic that is linked to a book, and there are topics subordinate to that book that use H1.
3. Either conditon the picture out so it doesn't appear in print output, or there is an option in the target "Printed Output" section "Text Popup Effects". Set that to Expand Text Inline, and use crossreferences for related topics that include the page number for print.

Cheers
Greg
Dtechmeier
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Dtechmeier »

Greg - thanks for your timely response. It turned out my running heading (#1) wasn't working because of a paragraph mark that made the area larger than the header size defined in the page layout. Instead of displaying some of it, nothing displayed. It took the support person who helped me a while to figure it out, but he persisted until he did. I was able to conquer the other obstacles and was impressed with how well the features work once you figure them out. Thanks again for your help!
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Dtechmeier wrote:Greg - thanks for your timely response. It turned out my running heading (#1) wasn't working because of a paragraph mark that made the area larger than the header size defined in the page layout. Instead of displaying some of it, nothing displayed. It took the support person who helped me a while to figure it out, but he persisted until he did. I was able to conquer the other obstacles and was impressed with how well the features work once you figure them out. Thanks again for your help!
That's rather encouraging. :)
Very nice.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder