Single Sourcing Project for two or more languages

This forum is for Single-Sourcing your Flare content to multiple outputs.
Lucia
Propeller Head

Single Sourcing Project for two or more languages

Post by Lucia »

Hello,

Where I work, we provide help both in Portuguese and English for our system, being each Help (CSH) with some different Targets because of different types of users. Until now, I've been keeping two different Projects, one for each language. However, there are many shared aspects in both Helps, such as the Stylesheet and some Master Pages. Because of this, I'm considering creating a single Project. On the other hand, I think generating output would be too time consuming...

Does any of you have experience with this to help me decide what is the best?

Thank you all in advance.
Lucia
Cinnamon
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Single Sourcing Project for two or more languages

Post by Cinnamon »

Hi Lucia
You'll need to keep the projects seperate, however there are a few way to share CSS, page layouts, master pages and so on.
If you look up Flare's online help you should find loads of information about "Global Project Linking" and the other options. I'm currently consolidating materials from several departments and haven't decided which route to take yet, so I don't have any experience in the actual usage.
Are you writing the content in each language or writing in one and getting it localized into the other? I don't know if you've looked into MadCap's Lingo product? It could help you manage the two languages.
I hope this helps a bit.
Take care.

Suze
Lucia
Propeller Head

Re: Single Sourcing Project for two or more languages

Post by Lucia »

Thanks, Suze.

Yep, I think this is the best way: keep them separate.

I'm going to check about Global Project Linking, I've seen about it but never took a closer look, might be helpful.

Certainly Lingo would be very good in my case, but I still don't use it.
Lucia