TOC issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the WebHelp Mobile target and skins
Sue
Propeller Head

TOC issues

Post by Sue »

I've created a TOC for a WebHelpMobile project.

It looks like this:

Selecting a Dashboard
...Interacting with Dashboards
...Interacting with Reports
........Viewing Text Previews
........Adding Values as Report Constraints
........Adding Values as Dashboard Constraints
........Selecting Other Report Values
...Interacting with Filters
...Zooming
...Changing Dashboard Tabs

When my help output is generated, I get a TOC item. Clicking on that gives me the name of my chapter topic.

TOC
...Selecting a Dashboard
......Selecting a Dashboard (again)
......Interacting with Dashboards
......Interacting with Reports (5)
......Interacting with Filters
......Zooming
......Changing Dashboard Tabs

Is there a way to make this less confusing for readers? I understand that it is giving me the Selecting the Dashboards option again so that the user can click on it and actually read the help content on that page, but to the user I think it looks confusing.

Is there a way to make the chapter topic empty so that if I click on a chapter/subject name it gives me the sub-topics and not something that looks like a duplicated topic? For example, if I removed all of the content from the Selecting a Dashboard page, and moved it to its own sub-topic page, is there a way to make it stop generating a page for "Selecting a Dashboard"? To make it generate only the chapter heading and not the sub-topic?

Thanks.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: TOC issues

Post by NorthEast »

Sue wrote:Is there a way to make the chapter topic empty so that if I click on a chapter/subject name it gives me the sub-topics and not something that looks like a duplicated topic? For example, if I removed all of the content from the Selecting a Dashboard page, and moved it to its own sub-topic page, is there a way to make it stop generating a page for "Selecting a Dashboard"? To make it generate only the chapter heading and not the sub-topic?
You can, but only if you don't link the book items in your TOC to topics (i.e. so they're just headings and not linked to anything).

So your TOC might look like this:

Dashboards (unlinked)
...Selecting a dashboard
...Interacting with Dashboards

(Note that if you use breadcrumbs, this would have an adverse effect because you could no longer click on an item in the breadcrumb path, as the book TOC items are not linked to topics.)
Sue
Propeller Head

Re: TOC issues

Post by Sue »

Thanks - that worked perfectly!