Flare for Prototypes?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the WebHelp Mobile target and skins
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Flare for Prototypes?

Post by kwag_myers »

I have a very simple app that I developed in HTML/JavaScript and decided to do a smartphone version to market. So I imported the project, tweeked a few things and the app works like I know what I'm doing. Since I'm new to the Android environment I'm wondering if Flare's WebHelp Mobile is a good proof of concept tool? Can I trust the fact that it works in Flare, and how close is Flare's output to what I will be developing, i.e., is it wise to use Flare as a shortcut/prototype tool?
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare for Prototypes?

Post by RamonS »

Short of using any one of the ubiquitous Android devices you can install VirtualBox and run an Android VM, see http://androvm.org/blog/. I had some good successes with this setup and it gets much closer to a real Android device than anything else. There is also an 'official' Android emulator, but that puppy is so slow that I impatiently waited until it booted up just to shut down and uninstall right after.
I haven't compared the Flare preview with that on the AndroVM. If you find they are each working the same I think that the Flare preview will be fine going forward. The difference is that with the VM you can also install apps and try the entire application with help.
kwag_myers
Propellus Maximus

Post by kwag_myers »

Thanks for the reply. I've been contemplating the benefits of VM for other reasons, so it seems like the best way to go.

btw, is it just me, or is Android Development still a rare skill set? I work with 30+ developers and none of them were into it at all. Some had dabbled a little, but no one wanted to even look at my project (which is a very simple calculator type app). So, I had little choice then to go it on my own. I'm just wondering if this is something I should develop to the point of adding to my resume?
"I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!" - Curly Joe Howard
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

If you have the time and interest honing your skills will surely be beneficial. I don't know why the developers did not know much about Android development. Maybe the company you work for does not target mobile? We just got started with it, but our R&D developer spent a few months to figure it all out and come up with an app. Now it will be much easier for other developers to follow. Mobile became of interest to us about a year ago, before that it was not on the radar at all.