Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Vietnamese

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.

Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Vietnamese

Postby noelmccourt on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:58 am

I am having issues with corrupted characters appearing in the TOC and Index for Vietnamese when I create a CHM from Flare. It works fine for Chinese and Russian and other languages etc. I have changed my regional settings to Vietnamese and many characters appear correct but a number appear as question marks. I have tried using HTML entities but these are not working either.

All characters appear fine in Flare. Is there any specific guidelines for Vietnamese and CHM files? Has anyone seen a Vietnamese CHM file before and if so could they share it with me or point me in that direction?

Thanks.
noelmccourt
Jr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:29 am

Re: Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Vietnamese

Postby cdschroeder on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:05 pm

What version of Windows are you using? I don't know if this is exactly the same issue, but I had a similar problem with Korean PDF and CHM output. The solution was to build the output on a pre-Windows 10 PC (I used 8.1). My IT dept was not terribly happy to give me a second computer, but MadCap couldn't give an ETA on the fix... :P
Casey Schroeder

Image
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Vietnamese

Postby noelmccourt on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows 7.
noelmccourt
Jr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:29 am

Re: Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Vietnamese

Postby cdschroeder on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:21 pm

noelmccourt wrote:Thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows 7.

Well, then I guess that's not it. Have you tried contacting support? They might know a workaround.
Casey Schroeder

Image
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Corrupted characters in Index and TOC for Vietnamese

Postby Uwe Schwenk on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 am

I had similar issues with Asian languages and it was solved as follows:

1.Open the relevant MadCap Flare project.
2.Open the target file.
3.In the target file, uncheck the option Add DOCTYPE declaration to generated topics in the Advanced tab of the CHM target.
4.Save the project and re-compile.

HTH
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:30 pm


Return to Microsoft CHM Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests