Search - "No topics found" message

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Search - "No topics found" message

Post by Techno »

Has anyone found that the CHM's Search function no longer works after building? This is happening on our system here, as well as with our partners in the US. Source Control is handled by GIT, and both systems are on different networks. We are running Flare 2020 r2, while the US are on r1,

It appears to have stopped working sometime in July this year, which is around the time the following two upgrades were applied to Windows 10 Pro version 2004 which we both use,

Cumulative for Windows 10 version 2004 - 64bit systems (KB4565503)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4565503

Cumulative for .NET Framewk 2.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 2004 for x64 (KB4565627)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -framework

We'd be most interested to know if anyone with the same or similar configuration has experienced this.
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Search - "No topics found" message

Post by NorthEast »

See "Troubleshooting the No Topics Found Issue" in the help:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... FoundIssue
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

Hi Joe, We cannot thank you enough for the link you provided.

I more than suspect that the problem with the itcc.dll becoming unregistered was likely caused by one of those two July 2020 updates to Windows 10 version 2004. I do not believe it a co-incidence that two separate systems, one on each side of the Pond, suffered the same problem.

It's rather sad to say that Madcap's own Help: Search did not bring this up, and moreover, that the Topic really needs to be updated to include Windows 10 as opposed to just 7 & 8. Even sadder is that Technical Support themselves were unable to come up with the solution after a total of five hours on the phone and Team Viewer. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the case is reviewed :-(

So many thanks again, and if anyone else gets this problem, please do report it to Madcap.
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

No problem Barbara.

I think it usually happens after an installation. It's worth doing a test build after each Flare installation/update on each PC, as the problem isn't reported as a build error, and so is easy to miss.

Yeah, although I knew it was in the help, finding it wasn't that easy. I think MadCap's help uses the elasticsearch engine, and I don't know if it supports searching for phrases - or at least using quotes like "no topics found" doesn't work.
MLStillwell
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by MLStillwell »

I had this problem after installing Flare on a new PC. I had to work over the RegisterItcc.bat file to get it to work, but once it worked, all was good.

In addition to Search not working with the "no topics found" message, I could not get the Preview of topics to scroll - with the mouse nor the keyboard - but that also was fixed after the Bat file ran successfully.
EileenP
Propeller Head

Post by EileenP »

I had the same issue after installing the latest MadCap Flare version. I have not switched PCs or reinstalled anything else. Perhaps this was caused by a Windows update.
The troubleshooting topic linked to above helped me solve the problem. But it needs to be updated.
kimzaidain
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kimzaidain »

We have implemented the workaround suggested in this thread (thank you!) and now search works locally in the chm. But when we hand off the chm to development, they can't get search to work. Any ideas what could be causing that?