Unable to view HTML Help on local

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Unable to view HTML Help on local

Post by wisefolly »

I can't view the CHM file on my local machine. Previously, I had to right-click the file, select Properties, and then click Unblock. I don't see that option anymore.

I get this error message: "This program cannot display the webpage."

I am using Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Re: Unable to view HTML Help on local

Post by wisefolly »

Note: We recently had to create a new Windows user on our machine and start using the new one.

It works using the old Windows user, but not the new one.
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Post by wisefolly »

bump
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Check the Internet Options, they may be so restrictive that they do not allow for displaying anything. Does it work fine on other computers? If yes, it is a user / system related issue.
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Post by wisefolly »

The HTML Help works on other computers. What Internet options should i look to change?

So far, I've turned off the firewall and lowered the Internet security settings.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Security settings would be it, the same settings as for IE. Which in particular is difficult to say. Could also be that the help viewer itself has issues, but I find that somewhat unlikely, because you said it works for a different user account on the system. Also, does that apply to any CHM or only to the ones created with Flare?
If it is the same for any ol' CHM I think it isn't a Flare related issue, but something your IT folks need to take a look at.
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Post by wisefolly »

It must be a security setting somewhere on the new Windows user account.

I haven't tried a non-Flare CHM file, but the Flare CHM works on my old user account (same computer) and on other writers' machines in the office.

I'll see if i can get some assistance from IT.

I remember an Unblock button that i had to click for Windows 7, but i am not seeing that anymore.

Thanks for the help!
wisefolly
Propeller Head

Post by wisefolly »

In a last ditch effort, I rechecked the HTML target and found that the Output folder was still set to the previous user's location (desktop).

I updated the location and now it is working fine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Would have never thought of that, but yea, the other user's folders are off limits. Good that you figured it out.
mymojo
Propeller Head

Post by mymojo »

Hi there. I am having this issue and I am wracking my brain. I build my output and I get this error when saving it to my desktop on my local machine, so I know the network is not the problem. It's an enormous file, and so it takes over half an hour to build every time. I wish I knew what changed between when it was working and when it wasn't, but I don't. I feel like it's something stupid like I accidentally unchecked underscores in the filenames, or it's a condition, but that's not it. I get a blank page with the error "This Webpage Cannot be Displayed". I don't even get the frames for the TOC vs. the content, just one blank page.

Any ideas?
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

You tried the classics?
1. close help, delete the history of the IE, close IE
2. delete the file hh.dat (folder C:\Users\<yourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\HTML Help)
3. close help, set security settings of the IE back to standard, close IE
4. reinstall Flare
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
mymojo
Propeller Head

Post by mymojo »

Still no dice :( I can build it on another machine with Flare on it and I get the same problem. Is there anything else I can try?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Going for a long shot here, reinstall MSXML 6.0. That is the XML parser that Microsoft provides and I've seen that to be the cause of a few bizarre errors. Also, could try to create a different user account or log on with a different account on that PC. Maybe there is something wrong with the profile.
alanandrew
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by alanandrew »

Hi, not sure if you solved it yet but here is a solution.

This is a Windows security feature which usually occurs when a CHM file is loaded from an email attachment or is downloaded.

Right-click on the CHM file in Windows Explorer.
Click Properties
Select Advanced.
An Unblock checkbox would probably be active in the dialog.
Select the checkbox to unblock.
Click OK and so-on.

CHM should run OK now.
Alan Andrew
Afour Intelligent Solutions
mymojo
Propeller Head

Post by mymojo »

I don't seem to have an unblock checkbox. Nothing else has worked. I even made a new project and moved over the content and I'm getting the same thing. It's project-specific. It's apparently not my system, it's something in the project and the contents apparently. A new sample project generates a .cm just fine. Is there anything in the resources or project contents that might be a red flag? Unfortunately the project in question is the mega-manual, of over 600 pages of content and images and conditions. I don't even know where to start. :?
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Did you add some javascript?
Could be your stylesheet: Copy your stylesheet into a brandnew project and see how that works. Then add the masterpage and some of the content
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

We're encountering a similar issue. But in this case, the TOC shows up fine, but the topics are blank (no error messages). This is only happening on one PC (that we know of). The PC is running Windows 7. We've tried two versions of the same CHM - generated with Flare 9.1.1 and 9.1.2. However, the problem doesn't occur with CHM files generated by other software (in this case, SandCastle)...it's only a problem for the Flare-generated CHMs. Any suggestions?
Kellie
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

You might need to re-register a DLL (itcc). Have a look at this thread that might help:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 13&t=13543
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

wclass wrote:You might need to re-register a DLL (itcc). Have a look at this thread that might help:
http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 13&t=13543
Thanks! Yeah, we've encountered that problem several times over the years - typically when one of the writers gets a new PC, and we have to dig up that KB article. :)

Unfortunately, the problem that we're experiencing is that the entire topic area is blank all the time. We've tried a few troubleshooting steps:
1) Registering the following DLLs:
Regsvr32.exe hhctrl.ocx
Regsvr32.exe itss.dll
Regsvr32.exe itircl.dll

2) Verified there wasn't a # symbol in the folder name.

3) It's being viewed from the PC's desktop (and not over a network location).

4) "Unblocking" the CHM via the Properties dialog.

But none have worked. It seems to be PC-specific, as it can be viewed fine on several other PCs.
Kellie
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

One other thing I'd check are the Internet security settings (of IE). They are applied system wide and it may just be that tight restrictions on everything cause the topic content to not show.
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

Thanks RamonS! Yeah, that's what we were thinking too. Another forum posting indicated that resetting IE to the default settings might resolve it too. We'll see!
Kellie
togal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by togal »

HI.. did a solution to this ever turn up? I have the same problem using DocToHelp (not sure what Flare is).
I have no 'Unblock' button.
It is HTML help - has nothing to do with the internet.
the .chm modules reside locally on each machine and the problem occurs on both.
One module is Word based and the other is XML formatted screen snaps.
I can open topic A1,module A and pull up the pop upscreen linked from topic B1, Module B so that link works but when I try to go to Topic A2, Module A, I get this message.
Have to close and reopen in order to get to topic A2 - and I can pull up the link B2, Module B but cannot get back to topic A1 -- same error.
Any ideas?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

togal wrote:HI.. did a solution to this ever turn up? I have the same problem using DocToHelp (not sure what Flare is). ...
Any ideas?
Yes. Given that your authoring tool is Doc2Help, you should look for solutions and post questions at the Doc2Help forums (http://our.doctohelp.com/doc-to-help-forums/), rather than here in the MadCap Flare forums.

Flare and Doc2Help are competing authoring tools.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
togal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by togal »

oh.. I see.. sorry.. will do