Dropped list numbering in HTML (and DotNet) output types

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
JudyH
Propeller Head

Dropped list numbering in HTML (and DotNet) output types

Post by JudyH »

I have some simple numbered lists that are working fine in most output types (WebHelp, Word, PDF, HTML5). One output type I will need is HTML. However, for HTML (and for DotNet, I've noted), the numbers don't appear in compiled output. All other list formatting (indents, etc.) seems to be preserved and respected -- but the numbers themselves are missing.

If I switch to a standard bullet type (using the drop-down under the Paragraph section), the bullets will appear.

If I set HTML as the primary target type and preview a page, the numbers do appear. But in the compiled output, the numbers will have vanished.

The Flare version is 8.1.1.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this odd behavior in simple numbered lists? I've reviewed the styles for lists and list items, including mc-auto-number-format, and those don't seem to do the trick. The fact that the lists are fine for some non-print outputs leads me to think that something else is going on.
Judy Hennessey
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Dropped list numbering in HTML (and DotNet) output types

Post by LTinker68 »

Can you post the styles for your lists? That way we can try it on our machines to confirm if it's a bug in Flare or something in your styles or something specific to your machine or project.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Check the left margin for the "li" item. In most cases you can rely on the defaults for this value, but different browsers will treat margins just a little bit differently, and in some cases, like HTML help, the number is really there, just hidden too far off to the left. You might need to set an actual value for it - 40px is often used.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
JudyH
Propeller Head

Post by JudyH »

Thanks for the tips.

The current settings are:

Code: Select all

ol
{
	width: 720px;
}

li
{
	color: #000000;
	margin-bottom: .6em;
	margin-top: .6em;
	font-size: 10pt;
	font-family: Verdana;
	vertical-align: text-top;
	width: 700px;
}
I will see if margin adjustments will do the trick.
Judy Hennessey
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

First thing I'd do is lose the width attribute on both the ol and li tags. If there is some valid reason to constrict the width, then just set it on the ol tag; the li tag will inherit the width setting from the ol tag. And, of course, make sure you don't set the ol tag's width to be greater than your body tag -- that might push your numbering off view, as well.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
JudyH
Propeller Head

Post by JudyH »

Thank you. Lisa. As both width settings had been working for most output types I tested, it hadn't occurred to me to remove them.

- Removing both widths allowed the numbers to appear.
- Adding the ol width value only, caused the numbers to once again disappear in the html output.
- Adding the li width value only, allowed the numbers to appear.

The objective was to have a right-indent on the list text, to further set the list off from the body. I might have been able to use other settings (margins, maybe) but the li width setting accomplishes what I needed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Judy Hennessey