CHM windows appearing sporadically in our F1 help

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
cmackinnon2012
Jr. Propeller Head

CHM windows appearing sporadically in our F1 help

Post by cmackinnon2012 »

Our HTML help works fine 8) in the latest version of our software application, but is sporadic :? (some topics open other help windows, some don't open any) in an older version. Can anyone tell us WHY this is happening? Any information is appreciated.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Re: CHM windows appearing sporadically in our F1 help

Post by i-tietz »

So, you want to know what it was that solved your problem? :?

We need to know a "tiny bit" more:

What do you mean by "topics opening other help windows"?
Do you mean when opening those topics by a ink in another topic? Or are the links in the TOC or in the index?
If it's links in topics: Could you please post the source code of those topics containing those links - at least of a section around that link causing it?

If you mean the call of the topic via F1:
If nothing happens: Maybe you do not have a current header file and/or not the correct alias assignment.
If it opens more than one window: Generally speaking the call of CSH is a matter of the development. They are the ones who open the windows ...
Inge____________________________
"I need input! - Have you got input?"
cmackinnon2012
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cmackinnon2012 »

Thanks for your speedy reply, i-tietz. It's not links in topics (and yes we do work with a TOC and Index)...when we open a CHM file and click on a topic in the Contents section called "Baby ducks", for example, a different topic will open instead. We use the same CHM file for 2 different versions of our software...it's working fine in the latest version, but acts this way in the older version. Everything is working fine in Flare 8 - even the CSH API Calls test works fine. Not sure why it works in one app and not the other? :roll:
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

cmackinnon2012 wrote:... when we open a CHM file and click on a topic in the Contents section ...
Contents section? I suppose you mean the TOC?

Well then the news is bad: The TOC is handmade by the tech writer. Those versions must contain wrong links.
I suppose you have access to old versions of the Flare project, i.e. the TOC? Then you can fix it by connecting the correct topic top the respective TOC entry.
cmackinnon2012
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cmackinnon2012 »

But why is it working fine in 1 version of our software and not the other do you think? All topics open fine in the latest version, but not the older version. All topics are tied together fine.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

i-tietz wrote:Well then the news is bad: The TOC is handmade by the tech writer.
That "tech writer" is YOU.
i-tietz wrote:Then you can fix it by connecting the correct topic top the respective TOC entry.
Translated for you: Get those old projects and correct the TOC.
cmackinnon2012
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by cmackinnon2012 »

I appreciate your feedback very much. But I think I did not explain it clearly enough. I don't think it's the TOC that needs to be changed because it is structured correctly and working perfectly in the HTML output and matches every window fine in our F1 help (in 1 version of our software). We have 2 versions of our company's software...and in the newest version, the help is working as expected. However, our other version (which uses the same output/TOC/header file/alias file) does not seem to cooperate with the F1 help...but the output (CHM file) is fine. Maybe it's something the developers need to look at? Or maybe your right-on the $...?
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

cmackinnon2012 wrote:However, our other version (which uses the same output/TOC/header file/alias file) does not seem to cooperate with the F1 help...but the output (CHM file) is fine. Maybe it's something the developers need to look at? Or maybe your right-on the $...?
Well ... I didn't understand that you use the SAME help file for the old AND the new application ... I thought there is difference in the help files too.

If it is the same chm file in both applications, the problem is obviously with the application.
Ask your developers whether they changed things without telling you - knowing developers, that's probably the case. If they change controls they usually also change control ids and those are in the header files and referenced in the alias file.

Means: If that's the case you at least have to generate a new alias file and new target that references that new alias file.
Maybe you even have to have separate projects! That's the case if the header files for the two different versions use the same name, because importing one into your help project would overwrite the other ...