Merged Help problems - js errors and broken links

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Merged Help problems - js errors and broken links

Post by mattbnh »

We have two significant problems with out merged help system and Flare 8.1.2.
(I have filed support requests with Madcap and both issues have resulted in bug reports filed by support.)

I am Interested in knowing if anyone has experienced this.

Problem 1
When the a topic in a slave CHM in the merged help is launched from our application using F1 (using URL-style links (helpprovider I believe), every link results in a 'Cannot display the webpage" error within the CHM viewer window.
These links work fine when help compiled with Flare 7 is deployed.
This can be avoided by building with the merge.txt workaround in http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =8&t=15396
Direct help links to topics in the master CHM open correctly.

Problem 2
When the a topic in a slave CHM in the merged help is launched from our application using F1, every link results in a Javascript Error (Unable to get value of the property 'getElementsByTageName": object is null or undefined.
The URL points to SkinSupport/MadcapBody.js in the target (slave CHM being opened through the master CHM).
These links work fine when help compiled with Flare 7 is deployed.

Is anyone else getting javascript errors like this in merged CHM help systems?
Any workarounds?
(I also asked Madcap support if they had any workarounds; I will post if they have a response.
This is a real showstopper for Flare 8 use for us - Our QA won't pass this with an error popping.
We can avoid it by building in Flare 7, but this hurts.
I had just convinced management here to buy additional licenses - now I have to tell them not to until this is solved (other groups can't fall back on Flare 7 like we can).
mattbnh
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Merged Help problems - js errors and broken links

Post by mattbnh »

Here is followup:
Madcap Support submitted both of these problems as bugs.
They suggested the 'merge.txt' workaround for problem 1 and for problem 2 said we would need to use Flare 7 until a fix is available.
I don't have time or the expertise to try to debug the javascript to see what has changed or how to get around it, so for the time being, we will compile the merged projects in Flare 7.

So far, working on the projects in Flare 8 and building the merged version in Flare 7 has worked fine.
I noted on the build log that even if I built each individual CHM in FLare 8, when I built the merged version in Flare 7, it re-built every CHM, rather than taking the Flare 8 version. OK by me.
Also note that Flare 8 works fine for our chms that are not part of the merged set. Flare 8 CHMs called directly by F1 do not pop a js error.

Updating this mainly so the problem is not left hanging in the forum to scare people.