Script Error When Running CHM in Win8.1

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Adrienne97
Jr. Propeller Head

Script Error When Running CHM in Win8.1

Post by Adrienne97 »

When I try to run the help chm out of our application in Win8.1, I get a script error. I haven't had a problem when running the help chm out of our application on any other OS. I don't get any errors when I build.
(I will firstly admit that I don't know much about js.)
The script error says
"Unable to get property 'getElementsByTagName' of undefined or null reference".
Then it names the URL as
"mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program Files (x86)\...\...\...\...chm::/SkinSupport/MadCapUtilities.js", (do I want to continue running scripts on this page, blah blah).
I can easily navigate to this file in the output folder's Temporary folder and even find the offending line, which reads:
var styleNodes = mRootNode.getElementsByTagName("Style");
(I notice that when I Google this it corrects to:
var style Nodes = RootNode.getElementsByTagName("Style");
Is this a clue? Is this the error in the line?)
I can of course correct the file, but naturally it just regenerates with the issue intact every time I build the output. Does anyone know if there's something I can do within the project to stop this script error from occurring? A setting? I don't even know where to begin with Skin Support, or what's informing the MadCapUtilities.js file. Is there something Win8.1 doesn't like in the skin file itself?

I tried deleting all the outputs and temporary folder. No change.
I do not see a folder called SkinSupport in the Content Explorer, as I noted was the fix for a lot of similar issues.
I notice that most script errors discussed on the forums tend to relate to IE, but this seems to be an exception.

If anyone could help, I would be super grateful!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Script Error When Running CHM in Win8.1

Post by RamonS »

Win 8.1 isn't even released yet to the general public. Do you have a Win8.0 system to try? Maybe there is a difference between IE10 and IE11 thus giving the CHM viewer a different browser. How about any security settings? Your best bet would be to contact MadCap for assistance as I doubt many have Win8.1 at hand and if so only for evaluation purposes.
One more thing to try, when you build a CHM from the sample project do you get the same error?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Adrienne97 wrote:If anyone could help, I would be super grateful!
I'd contact MadCap support - they're going to be more able to help with issues like this.

The skinsupport folder and js files are only in the output.

If you think you might have found a fix and want to test it, just make a copy of the temporary folder, edit the js file, and build the CHM using HTML Help workshop.
snap
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by snap »

I am getting the same Error in Win7 Sp1. Its the browser upgrade (I'm on IE11 now).

Any resolutions so far?

thx
agwyvern
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by agwyvern »

Jumping on the bandwagon!

I just loaded Flare 8.1.2 on a new Win7 SP1 machine.

I get the error as soon as Flare comes up -- it happens when it tries to show the Dynamic Help.
It happens when I open an existing project and go to open an individual topic.

Basically, it happens each time I do something that requires stuff to appear :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Try the trial version of Flare 9 and see if that makes a difference, but use a copy of your project. Flare 8 predates IE11 and IE11 breaks tons of stuff. I know it doesn't help, but avoid any version of IE at all costs. It is just bad software.
I did try Flare 9.1.2 on W7 SP1 with IE11 and it opens topics without problem. I also can generate CHM output without issues. Maybe the fix is upgrading, but try the trial first to see if that will indeed address the problem.
agwyvern
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by agwyvern »

Thanks Ramon, I'll try that today.

Question -- Any idea if uninstalling IE11 will resolve the problem, or is the problem caused by IE11 installation breaking related files?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I'm not sure if IE11 can be uninstalled, but give it a try and see if that makes a difference.