Help window slow to close

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Glowin
Jr. Propeller Head

Help window slow to close

Post by Glowin »

Hi,

This is my first ever post so go easy on me :wink:

I work as a technical author and have the responsibility of writing the support documentation for a timber engineering design package. I've never had a role like this before but managed to get the job as I have extensive experience with timber engineering software and have had some experience writing training manuals.

I've not been using Flare for long, roughly four months, and have managed to get by so far using the on-line manuals plus a bit of imagination, however, I've been asked to look into a speed issue and was wondering if someone here might be able to help.

The majority of the time the documentation is accessed via a Help button found within the software which will open a separate window to display it in. Everything has been going well so far but it has recently been reported to me that one of our users is experiencing a considerable pause (60 seconds or so) when he closes the help window down after he's finished with it.

Does anyone know if this pause is caused by a setting in my Flare document files/setting or if it's more likely to be a problem with his computer/software installation?

Thanks
Glowin
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Help window slow to close

Post by RamonS »

Welcome to the forums!

It is a problem for just one user? Not anyone else? In that case my assumption is that something is amiss on that user's system. Maybe some process is running or is hung that causes the CPU cycles to spike. Does anything else on that system run abnormally slow?
Which OS and IE version does that user have on her/his system?
Glowin
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Help window slow to close

Post by Glowin »

That would certainly be my opinion too. Plus the fact that the software is still in development with multiple test versions floating about the place. I just wanted to check that there wasn't something glaringly obvious that I was unaware of as a Flare newbie.

Thanks for the reply though. You can expect to see me questions popping up from this point forward! :wink:
Glowin