Tables in CHM files

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the Microsoft HTML Help target.
This target produces "CHM" files in the output.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Tables in CHM files

Post by Techno »

This question may be somewhat off the wall, but....

I have a need to create a table, which in itself is not a problem. It is currently in Excel.

However, I wish users to be able to select on a specific criteria, and sort on another column.

Is this at all possible in Flare 10 :?:
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Tables in CHM files

Post by RamonS »

I think the question needs to be more "Is this possible within a CHM?" It appears as that the CHM viewer can execute some javascript, but the HTML engine used by CHM always was a bit crippled. Found this: http://codereview.stackexchange.com/que ... ent-manner
I'm not that versed in JS, but adapting that script for allowing sorting on any one of the columns in the table should be easy. You could also just add an HTML drop-down with the column headers hardcoded.

When I understand you correctly, you also want a filter (select on specific criteria). For that I found this: http://codepen.io/chriscoyier/pen/tIuBL
The benefit with both solutions is that they do not depend on some js framework. I suggest you give it a try on a small table with just two or three columns and a handful of rows to make debugging easier. I have no idea if this works within a CHM, even if it does it may depend on the Internet settings on the local system viewing the CHM if scripting is allowed.

Good luck! :D
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Tables in CHM files

Post by SteveS »

Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.